cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheddy
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Terrible usenet speeds ??? Is it throttling.

Go to solution

Firstly hello to all that are reading this.. I have had a problem with very slow usenet speeds, at peak times as well as off peak. The thing is I don't really use that much of an allowance around the 70gb - 80gb a month which in today's terms with three teenage sons who play the xbox and surf a lot is not that much. So when I want to use usenet a service that I have to pay for as well as having to buy the software that I use for that service I am a little more than disgusted.. Here are my line stats...

Yes I had just reset my router but I had previously been connected for 4 days. 

With thanks

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:25:33
Downstream7,911 Kbps
Upstream963 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)9.2 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)29.0 dB / 14.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Terrible usenet speeds ??? Is it throttling.

Go to solution

can you please go back to the same page in the hub and 'show detail' and post the errors.  could you also run btspeedtester and post the results.

are you connected to the master or test socket or somewhere else?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sheddy
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Broadband option Broadband speed range When you can get it ActionBT Total Broadband Faster BT Total Broadband Faster BT Total BroadbandYou can get our fast and reliable broadband with speeds of up to 20Mb. The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted.

Between 5.5Mb and 12.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 8.0Mb)
Now

FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)47 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)

Yes i have tried the master socket by taking the faceplate off and same results just usenet being capped at PEAK & OFF PEAK surfing fine but slightly laggy gaming.. 

Again thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

errors don't look bad - the high numbers are firmware bugs

can you run  http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sheddy
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 6353 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6353 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :7911 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 963 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 6979 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 4.33:16.13:79.55 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 786 Kbps

0 Kbps963 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 786 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 963 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

those stats look ok to me and even if BT looked at them they may also say the same.

I have similar stats although your connection type is 'interleave' which i was on and had very high pings, contact BT and ask them to change this to a 'Fast' connection - BT India gets confused by this as they read from a script BUT tell them it is not a fault, you want you line type changed!!

Also, change your wireless settings to broadcast on Wireless N only - all modern devices accept Wireless N which is faster than the B & G networks which can bottleneck your wireless speeds - dont forget YOU WILL LOOSE speed on wireless - this is normal, but Wireless N - i can now stream and watch BBC HD on iPlayer.

Hope this helps!!

CG Over An Out
Sheddy
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the information you just supplied there very helpful but this does not resolve the issue of my usenet being throttled back by about 92% OFF PEAK as well as PEAK times which i understand is the norm for most ISP's nowadays...

I am already am on n for wireless but me myself have and always will use ethernet. Thanks again though Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

@Sheddy wrote:

Thanks for the information you just supplied there very helpful but this does not resolve the issue of my usenet being throttled back by about 92% OFF PEAK as well as PEAK times which i understand is the norm for most ISP's nowadays...

I am already am on n for wireless but me myself have and always will use ethernet. Thanks again though Smiley Happy

Usenet should not be throttled, I use Usenet for large Binary downloads all the time and have not come across any slowdown.

What files are you downloading, news or binary. Who is your usenet supplier. That could be the culprit.

What news program do you use: Can you change the ports your news program uses

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Sheddy
Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

What is the differance to downloading binaries to news???? My programme is newsbin pro 5.59 Build 9826 my, usenet server is newsrazor and they are reporting no issues. I have checked for viruses spyware and such like all clean registry clean, but still no joy from this throttling issue.. Also FYI i have changed ports to 80 81 563 respectivly.. Tried traditional methods 119 443 or 8080 ports all have the same issue ???

With thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

@Sheddy wrote:

What is the differance to downloading binaries to news????

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just trying to see if you use BT newserver  and I think they only do NON binary.

Its a long time since I used NewsBin, use newsleecher myself and i can assure you I max my BT 5.5Mb connection out Newshosting

Cannot help with Newsrazor.

Have you tried the link;

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings