Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Tethering

Go to solution
  • Just had a message from BT saying you can now Tether your tablet, iPads etc to your phone, previously not being able to do this was a drawback. However my android phone, a Motorola Moto G with android 5.1 allows me to set up a hot spot and I can see it on my iPad settings and can tether to it....but with no internet connection. Is my phone too old? Currently have a 20gb contract at £16 a month...do I need a new 4g phone to tether.  BT says it works on any android phone that has the 2.2 Froyo operation system or later. So think my Android 5.1 should work, any ideas???
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Toejams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Tethering

Go to solution

I had exactly the same problem.  Although BT say tethering was allowed when I signed up.  No Data was being passed through the connection. The only way I could get it going was to use Klink on my Android Phone. 

Luckily I was within my 14 day cooling off period, so I bailed out.  Rubbish servce.

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

I knew when I signed up there was no tethering option, but this is a new message I only received yesterday. Seems as though they have come into the modern world now. I have great mobile service with them, 20gb for £16 a month, can't be beaten, good coverage at our caravan too, much better than my previous provider Tesco/O2.

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Up date from BT technical live chat....seems you can only tether from android to android phones, though I still couldn't get that to work. But you CAN'T tether from android phone to IOS iPad.....so in reality BT tethering isn't the tethering as everyone knows it. Did expand to say there was compatibility issues and these should resolved by the end of September 2016. So why fire out a text saying brilliant news BT now supports tethering when in reality it doesn't? Must try harder BT .......waiting with baited breath till the end of September 2016.

0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution
Erm they're talking cobblers, my iPad is connected to my android Sony Xperia Z1 compact and is transferring data perfectly.

keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Why does this not surprise me. At least my iPad sees my android phone...an oldish Motorola Moto G with android 5.1, they say it should work of anything over 2.2. Tried tethering another android phone and android tablet without any luck...they all tether but no data.....any ideas....or am I just unlucky....seems they 'are working on it' but why roll it out when it clearly doesn't seem fit for purpose.

0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution
I didn't do anything special, went into the Tethering & Portable hotspot menu, configure menu - gave my phone an ssid, password and set security to wpa2 Psk.
I then turned on the hotspot and selected the ssid on my iPads wifi menu. Entered in the password I created and it connected. Safari loaded up webpages no problem.
0 Ratings
Toejams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Thats why I bailed.  Support is useless.

0 Ratings
rover220
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
My tethering has always worked. Use it for laptop connection on the go.
0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
Lucky you, when I signed up in March I knew tethering wasn't supported, but they now say it is, but not with me, hopefully it'll be rolled out soon to the whole country and all systems .
0 Ratings