cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Thanks BT for your latest email - security!!

Thanks BT.

I am making a formal complaint through official channels but just wanted to make comment here at your incredibly stupid email you have sent me saying my latest bill is ready to view.

Whilst I am capable of remebering my email address what on gods earth posessed you to confirm my email in the text and subject line by ONLY replacing every other character by an *?

Even Stevie Wonder could work out the address as it does not take much to go through letters in the alphabet or numerics and put two and two together.

When will you get a grip and seriously think about what you are sending. What next, you send my password in abbreviated format?

Honestly, pathetic.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thanks BT for your latest email - security!!

I don't get the point of your post. The partial email address is probably there to convey that the email is from BT and is personal to you and not a mass spamming email which would be unlikely to include the partial email address in the content.

So what if part of your email address is included in your email. If you check the address of your email you will see that your full email address is included, it is also included in the email headers, that is how it gets to you, so if anybody managed to intercept your email they would not need to read the content of the email to know what your email address is.

Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

You can have a BT ID different to the email address used for correspondence for a start off.

Secondly, just removing alternate characters from my BT ID is hardly a good way of doing it is it? BT can remove the first 4 digits of my account number but not on my BT ID.

Maybe if you get an email from BT then you will see what I mean.

Oh, and who moved my post to email? This is an issue about billing and the billing process, not about email.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

What do you think can happen by doing what BT did and how do you envisage that happening?

0 Ratings