cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 41

The BT Home Hub 5 MAC filtering doesn't do its job properly at all.

Go to solution

I have noticed that the MAC filtering system at the BT Home Hub 5 doesn't work properly at all and that it would be essential to start a work to improve the software there. For example if I put a device for permanent blocking of the MAC address list so I assume that it will be blocked off but it's not... still I can see that it has been connected into the Internet... So, am I wrong or the router?

I would like to get a voice of the BT manager responsible for the router software if he would like to say that he is happy with that system there.

I don't want just criticize only and I would love to help  BT to improve the software by giving them the router's password so that they can start to test my router...

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 41

Re: BT Parental Controls stopped working

Go to solution

I have noticed that the MAC filtering system at the BT Home Hub 5 doesn't work properly and that it would be essential to start a work to improve the software there.

For example if I put a device for permanent blocking of the MAC address list so I assume that it will be blocked off but it's not... still I can see that it has been connected into the Internet...So, am I wrong or the router?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 41

Go to solution

So you keep saying, stop spamming the forum with multiple postings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 41

Re: The BT Home Hub 5 MAC filtering doesn't do its job properly at all.

Go to solution
What method do you use to confirm the device still has internet access?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 41

Go to solution

OK. I will try to describe how I'm doing the MAC filtering process.

So, first I go to "Advanced settings" then I go to "Home network - Devices" to check what device is connected into the Internet. Then I go into "Settings" and then to "BT Access control" after that I pick up a device of the MAC list to block permanently this and finally I do click on the confirmation button to proceed the task...

I wouldn't look for if I have done all of this right but I would guess at the software itself...as it needs to do a better protection there... 

Is it right? If I can see at the "BT Access control" that there is  set up a device permanent block but when I do check the "Home network - Devices" it's still connected into Internet...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 41

Go to solution

I don't use a hub, but I believe the filtering only works for new connections not existing connections, so will only become effective after the device disconnects and tries to re-connect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 41

Go to solution
If you think that my question has been a spam then my deepest apology that I have offended you.I did post these two separate comments into two different topics as you can notice different time of the posts at least....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 41

Go to solution

@donecek wrote:
If you think that my question has been a spam then my deepest apology that I have offended you.I did post these two separate comments into two different topics as you can notice different time of the posts at least....

That was the problem, you shouldn't really post the same topic in more than one board. Not a big deal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 41

Go to solution
Yes, it makes sense but in real use of my router it doesn't work the way as you have said.I'm blocking about 4 intruders to access the Internet but they have done easily access into the Internet despite of my blockage.As I can see at the "Home network- Devices"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 41

Go to solution

Are you sure that they are "intruders" and not devices that you have connected such as powerline adaptors, TV or some other Internet connected device.

You could change the wireless passkey so that the "intruders" can not log onto the Homehub however if the "intruders" have access to the Homehub they can carry out a factory reset which will restore the wireless passkey to the default one on the label.