Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 9

The BT speedtester is useless.

Go to solution

I just did a speedtest using the BT speedtester,and it gave me a reading of only  5 Mbps dowload and the upload was ok at 8.6Mbs.

But I then did my usual test of downloading a large file from gameshell and it came down at the fantastic speed of 4.9MBps [2.5GB in 8 mins 🙂 ].

So in my opion the BT tester does not give a correct result.

But it gets worse,as it also suggested that I change my login username and PW on my router and also in windows,I saw no reason for doing that and did the realworld file download test.I am glad that I did as I might have messed up my whole network due to a faulty ISP tester.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: The BT speedtester is useless.

Go to solution
Hiya, Did it give you a reasonwhy you needed to change all those login and passwords?? Bit odd that.
Got a feeling that there's a problem with the tester as I've been sitting now for over 5mins waiting for the page which you choose which tester to use has still not loaded
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
All speedtesters will at times, give an odd result.

It's a very small snapshot of network performance, and there's too many variables in networking for it to be right 100% of the time.

I very very rarely test the connection speed of my line, if it's working I'm not really bothered. That said, I know that when I download from newsgroups, I get the full whack, every single time. That for me is more important than a speedtest showing a high number ::)
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, its gone South . . . again! It rarely works well for long, then when it does work, they "improve" it and off it goes again.

A useful alternative is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

That tester does several checks on video streams as well as normal throughput.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

That BBC tester is great, their speedtest supports 100mbps. Thanks for the link.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I agree that speedtesters are a gamble,but the BT tester is supposed to be the one that they count for any complaints that are sent in.

It is still needed to get a fix on the profile readings,and therefore in my opion,if it gves wrong info then the profile might be messed with due to the faulty readings.

I usually just test a large file test up or down [realworld readings],but still do not want my profile messed with at the exchange when there is no valid reason.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Well it all seems to be back to normal again,I think they should stop trying to fiix what ain`t broken.

But I am really glad that I ignored the messages regarding username and PW.

speedtester1.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

It`s playing up again.

The BT speedtester server must be an old wreck or something as it just gave me a download reading of 18Mbps,but my profile is 38.7Mbps.

And to prove that the BT speedtester server is usless I got the below reading [which is always the same approx] from the London server [bottom one] on speedtest.net.

http://speedtest.net/result/1811698038.png

Why do BT use obviously out of date or badly setup servers for thier main speedtester.?

Surely they can afford to invest in some better equipment.Or better server staff.?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Not great for me at the moment !

http://i.imgur.com/7BJ1O.png

0 Ratings