Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim7
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

The Cloud - where are my files held

Go to solution

It is important to me that my current files and folders are kept on my laptop. Does BT Cloud, when saving files, remove them from my laptop to save them in the cloud, or, does it copy them from my laptop ?  Where are my current files and folders held ?  Is BT cloud truly a backup or will my laptop end up being the backup ?

Other cloud providers locate the current folders in the cloud.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: The Cloud - where are my files held

Go to solution

@tim7

Like the majority of cloud backup service providers, BT Cloud takes a copy of the file from the device along with syncing any changes to a file between the device and BT Cloud Servers.

Have a look here - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41948/~/what-is-bt-cloud%3F

tim7
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.  Just to be really clear about this: when i'm in front of my laptop am i accessing files and folders that are on my laptop, or are those files and folders on my laptop or in the cloud ?

(Witha previous, short lived, provider, on syncing, my laptop files seemingly disappeared and i had to access them via the cloud.)

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Are they still there on your laptop when you disconnect it from the internet?

0 Ratings
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your interest in BT Cloud!

When your accessing files on your laptop, those files are stored locally on your computer. When you set a folder to 'Back up' using BT CLoud, the BT Cloud software is working in the background to keep copies of those files up to date in your BT Cloud account. When you add a new file to a Backed Up folder (or save changes to an existing file inside the folder) then the BT Cloud software will sync those changes, and update the copy stored in the cloud.

You can see instructions on how to add folders to backup here.

Thanks,

Joe