cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bennyg95
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

The Worst Broadband Speed I have Ever Seen!!

On a good day I get 120kbps

I have recently joined BT, with the expense of moving home, 150 pounds to install a new line seem unfair since I had already been a BT customer for years (paying line rental!!)

So open minded I took a Broadband package thinking how bad could it be + free line install!!

5 calls to BT and they still keep harping on about a magic 10-day period like the line is going to heal itself!! On two of the calls, after showing my frustration, I was told by the technician that the connection would be better with in 24 hr even after he had talked about the 10 day period!! Well that finished today and the connection is as bad as ever. BT has provided me with the worst service I have experienced, the worst connection and no solution!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: The Worst Broadband Speed I have Ever Seen!!

welcome to the forum

the 10 period is not magic but the time it takes for the built in algorithm to make tests on your line to try and fine the best stable speed for your connection.  As you have found out BT are unlikely to do anything about your line until the 10 day period has expired. There are numerous posts on the forum about the 10 day period.

To get assistance from the mods after your training period expires then it would help prove your case if you can  post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

Someone on the forum may also be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bennyg95
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the swift response but all I want to know is if my line will ever have the potential promised by BT when I placed my order!

I was told that on my line 4 mg would be possible, I don't care about how long it takes to be stable, 10 days or otherwise.... I just want to see that I can achieve a speed that will allow me to work from home!

What service on plant earth will take it take you 10 days to find out if it works?!

test results as follows

Download speedachieved during the test was - 80 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :256 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

when you get the adsl stats from your router check the attenuation here 
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

This will give you some idea of speed you can expect on a good line with no noise problems

You need to stay connected 24/7 and preferably in the master or better still the test socket for your best connection

I can see your frustration as your speed is really low at the moment. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bennyg95
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

That works out 10 x faster than what i am currently getting - still not 4 mg but an improvement!!

Why have I not been getting anywhere near this over the last 10 days stable or not?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

there could many reasons but the main thing is to connect to the master or better the test socket as that will give your best connection.  If you need to call the Indian help the first thing they ask is 'are you connected to the test socket'.

The normal thing during the training perios is for you speed to fluctuate and disconnections as the algorithm tries to find your best stable speed

0 Ratings
bennyg95
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I have a new outside master socket! It is under my kitchen window! Its grey and has one piece of cable coming into the property about 1.5 meters long to a socket on the wall in the kitchen. It was installed by a BT engineer!

Will I have better luck with another provider?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

do you have an NTE5 socket in your home as the first socket after the BT master outside?

Unless yo her cable the line from your home to the exchange will be the same regardless who you get as your provider.  If you can get LLU then equipment in exchange will be differnet but same line.

You will have a cancellation fee and probably even the cost of the line

0 Ratings