cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vitriol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 44

The disaster of switching to BT BEWARE!

Well..... After seeing a good deal or so I though I decided to switch from SKY fibre to BT fibre. BAD IDEA!

The price seemed good and I went via cash back site, which should of paid back £70, plus a prepaid credit card, which after all the issues so far, probably won't turn up... Which would make it not so great a deal at all.

Things started of seemingly fine, my order went through and I was given the 26th of June, TODAY as my switch over date and I'd keep my phone number and BT would contact SKY.

After a few days I received a letter from sky, declaring another company had contacted them to take over my phone line and broadband and my service with them would end on the 26th. All seemed well.....

Until I received a text from BT, telling me my order had been cancelled with them due to some issue and I was to call a given number.

So I called, the number was not specific and I ended up getting passed about like a hot potatoe from one clueless individual to the next, finally after much frustration, I was informed that BT had tried to place the order and it was rejected and I was to call sky, it was there fault..... I informed the BT telephonist from whatever department I had finally managed to get through to, that I had the letter In my hand from sky saying the line was ceasing on the date bt had instructed the switch over to occur on....... Well now I wasn't to call sky..... But my order was cancelled and a new order would have to be placed...... Not there and then, but in 2 days time as it was on a colleagues todo list.... So now I'm waiting for a new order. I'm not overly happy about this, but I'm in the fuzz now, I'm in limbo between companies and my current order canceled, making my 70£ cash back untrackable.... Not such a great deal.

So I'm waiting on the new order materialise, days later it does, but now the switch over date is start of July! This is pretty worrying, I'm starting to think that I sky may no cut of my phone and broadband on the date BT originally requested.... But surley not.....

Well TODAY is the 26TH, SKY as instructed by BT cut of both my phone line and broadband! So my worry came to fruition, no phone and no Internet, no router has even arrived from BT and I will be without broadband or telephone for round a week.... OR SO I THOUGHT!!

IT GETS WORSE......

A new message from BT to my mobile.... I'm going to get called from them from an 0800 number....

I answer and a gentleman from an exotic location and who I can barley understand informs me my order has been cancelled. AGAIN..... But this time I would be loosing my PHONE NUMBER! I would have to wait in for an engineer and the new order would go live on 7th of July.... I tried to explain my situation to the exotic gentleman briefly, but he just repeated his instructions, I agreed, as what option would one have with a disconnected service from there current provider, I did ask if it would cost me any more money, he informed me "it's free your with bt infinity", but can that be trusted, probably not. So I will have no broadband or phone for around two weeks, all going well! No cash back on my order for £70 and have lost my phone number too...... Also I get the pleasure of spending a day off work waiting for an engineer.... And probably BT will charge me a for my new number and engineer visit......

I'm a very unsatisfied customer and so far! Utter nightmare!

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 44

Re: The disaster of switching to BT BEWARE!

It sounds like a delay due to cabinet capacity
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

that will help to see if that is the cause of he delay

you should be able to recover your old phone number
0 Ratings
Vitriol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 44

If I enter my old phone number that has now been disconnected along with my broadband, it says that there is no data for this number.

Clicking the link didn't help my dismay to be honest, I don't think any link will. I just hope my experience with BT doesn't get worse. There's something very wrong if an order is placed with BT and another provider confirms the switch over on the date BT has chosen and then BT cancel that order and create a new order and then cancel that order and create another and fail to port phone number and have to issue a new number. Only to have BT original instruction to your current provider to activate on the date BT originally requested....
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 44

you need to use the address check as your phone number is ex sky and will not work on the checker until the phone line is taken over by BT
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 44

it is normal to issue a new number as it is needed for Openreach to carry out the fibre and phone set up and test your number can then be ported over
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 44

it sounds like the fibre cabinet is full and that is why Openreach has cancelled the order that is why I have asked for the checker result
0 Ratings
Vitriol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 44

You didn't send me a link that permits one to enter an address, I've no idea how to do that. I just entered my x sky number, thats all I have, I'm not aware of my new phone number.
0 Ratings
Vitriol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 44

Oh the email has the new phone number..... Let me try that.... I'm hoping this may work on the link you sent, hopefully explain the tragic farce and have a subsequent link to the BT apologies and compensation site..... 😀
0 Ratings
Vitriol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 44

Entering the new number gives the same results. Your also saying that it's normal for BT Open reach to give you a new number. After my phone and broad band were cut of today. I was subsequently called and told that I would "have" to have a new number, that they could "not" port my old number. To be Frank there is nothing normal with any of this! When you switch from fibre to fibre, Sky to BT, it should be seemless, that the norm, this is an unfortunate mess.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 44

@Vitriol wrote:
You didn't send me a link that permits one to enter an address, I've no idea how to do that. I just entered my x sky number, thats all I have, I'm not aware of my new phone number.

it is on the same checker

0 Ratings