cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesWolf
Message 1 of 17

The fair usage Trap

The term fair usage is wrong. How dare a company agree to sell me a product, be unable to sell me it due to demand AND then punish me for using what I have paid for.

The whole idea of "fair usage": how I should respect my fellow bt comrade, waste not want not, stinks of post war propaganda. It is NOT our responsibility to make sure bt can struggle on trying to provide internet for its customers. The fair usage policy is punishing the customers for bt's poor infastructure/terrible management.

THE FAIR USAGE POLICY BLAMES YOU FOR BT BEING UNABLE TO PROVIDE WHAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR!!!

The "fair usage policy" is a brilliant piece of psychology. Everytime you talk to anyone about it, you have to repeat the word fair. It follows that anyone who complains about the "fair" usage policy must surely have no sense of what is fair. The great dictator of morality, bt, has decided that this is fair and has named it so in the "fair usage policy".

By bt's own admissions they cannot offer you the speed you are paying for currently (hence "fair" usage policy), and yet keep advertising on tv for more customers to lure into their pit of disgrace, deceit and disturbingly shamefull tactics. BT continue to advertise as  "montley usage : unlimited" I encourage any bt representative reading this to explain this advertisement in the context of the fair usage policy so we can all enjoy laughing at your failure to grasp simple prefix's such as "un".

Unfortunately I am no lawyer(not suprising Smiley Tongue ). And I appreciate that legality is often slow to catch up with morality. There must, however, have to be some way to right these wrongs. Do we just ignore it? allow these lies? take the blame for bt's slow internet problems?

I would appreciate any details of your struggles with these or any other bt problems. Alone Bt will ignore our complaints. Together we can make alot more noise.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: The fair usage Trap

All ISPS have fair usage policies not just BT so please check your facts before blaming just one supplier for correctly managing the network
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 17

Un limited bandwidth is impossible unless speed and or time is unlimited  and BT,s policy of restricted speed during peak times only is better than a lot of Isp,s

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

mccann
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

@JamesWolf wrote:

The term fair usage is wrong. How dare a company agree to sell me a product, be unable to sell me it due to demand AND then punish me for using what I have paid for.

The whole idea of "fair usage": how I should respect my fellow bt comrade, waste not want not, stinks of post war propaganda.

I got to here then I stopped.

Are you for real?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 17

1. The Fair Usage Policy is referred to in the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you signed up.  If you don't agree, don't take out the contract.

2. Your connection to the internet is shared with several other people on the exchange (it used to be 50, but that may have changed now).  If you want to buy your own personal high-speed connection to the internet, feel free.  However, you may find that it costs rather more than BT's residential offerings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
AA99
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

If you want to buy your own personal high-speed connection to the internet, feel free.  However, you may find that it costs rather more than BT's residential offerings.

Mmmm, how much would that be then?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

anything around 10k per month
0 Ratings
AA99
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

LOL John, 10K ????

I was asking how much in £ per month, or are you too?? Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

That is a typical cost per month for a private circuit 10k  £10,000 per month

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

@Ectophile wrote:

2. Your connection to the internet is shared with several other people on the exchange (it used to be 50, but that may have changed now).

Hi.

If I may be as bold to say that that is not entirely accurate. The contention ratio my be 50:1 for residential users, but the internet pipe is much larger than a single user size. It may well be 100s of Mb/s, sometimes 1000s. Hence spread over more people and making contention less of a problem.

0 Ratings