cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

The pure hell that is trying to transfer an existing number when joining bt

I joined BT in early January and, on the landline front, it's been absolutely hell. I just can't get BT to transfer my phone number from Virgin Media. I have had 5 engineer vists (and 1 that didn't turn up) along with the veiled threats of being charged if it turns out to be my fault.

I cannot accept incoming calls. There is a dialling tone but the call cannot be answered by the phone. The latter has been tested in another house. I have contacted virgin and been told that a request to transfer the old number was cancelled by BT. I rang BT and they said that they'd now transfer it and it would take four days to process. Surprise, surprise. Nothing changed. Virgin still have the phone line active and BT are doing sod all. I spent (another) 90 minutes on BT chat service where the default responses are as following: please can you wait while I test the line, followed by would like to book a BT engineer (with the aformentioned threat of a fine), followed by transfer to another department that follows the exact same process of questioning. I feel sorry for BT engineers!

I have already been told by an engineer it is a port number problem so an engineer cant do a thing in my case. This seems to have confounded the thought process of BT India. A test of the line will not pick up that the phone is not active. Today, after being fobbed off through 3 different chat people,  I rang BT and took the option to get BT to phone me back. Guess what, they haven't and now I have to go through the same default BT problem solving process.

And I'm currently being billed £17.99 for line rental for a phone that I cannot use. Utter disgrace and I really regret ever moving over from Virgin. Not worth the long mornings that I've had to reserve trying to sort this out, to talk to somebody that will actually help me - and still there is no end in sight.

Any ideas on my next course? I've complained to BT but I'm not too confident of a helpful response.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: The pure hell that is trying to transfer an existing number when joining bt

Hi @Marcia127 Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I'm sorry about problem with the port of your number. 

We are very busy at present but we will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

When i click on your user name there is no option to 'contact the mods' - hence the private message. Presumably since I am logged in, I would assume that the option you refer to would be clear.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@Marcia127 I'm really sorry about that, if you click on my user name you'll see the link.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings