cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjrad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

The server responded: -ERR server closed

Hi, Since yesterday I keep getting this message on various emails accounts from two different sets of BT Accounts from different broadband contracts. This happens on different PCs running different versions of windows, so is not a local issue. Both sets of accounts are still on the old BT Yahoo servers. This is also imtermittent as sometimes it connects and other times it does not.

The error message from MS Outlook is:

"Task 'My Name - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR server closed'

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: The server responded: -ERR server closed

Been happening for years, happening again at the moment. It will eventually go away again to return in due course. In the meantime just hit f9 a few times.

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

I am getting the same problem and it has been several hours now and very infuriating. Fortunately my Apple devices are still downloading emails it is just MS Outlook that gets this message. Why do BT not post any messages on the BT.Com home page to advice customers of service issues?

0 Ratings
jgmills
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

I'm gettng the same problem, though it is also affecting my emails on my iPad. I contacted BT who tried to get me to delete my e-mail accounts from outlook and set them up again. They told me it is an app issue. I don't believe them so told them to forget it. Will wait till it clears up.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@jgmills wrote:

I'm gettng the same problem, though it is also affecting my emails on my iPad. I contacted BT who tried to get me to delete my e-mail accounts from outlook and set them up again. They told me it is an app issue. I don't believe them so told them to forget it. Will wait till it clears up.

BT talking **Edited** as usual, don't change anything, it will go away when they fix the server.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

@jgmills wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forums.

It is indeed a server or maybe a database access issue. There has to be stats on these systems showing masses of failed or similar issues.

The support people never ever check for any other reports. The faulting done by these teams is shocking, and something needs to be done. They are not given adequate time to investigate properly and hence spout rubbish. This is a management driven problem.

It will go away and return to normal eventually. However webmail, pop and imap access could vary.

0 Ratings
Camera
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Same problem here. Has happened in the past and cleared up but the last couple of days have been really bad.

Dave

0 Ratings
manintheknow
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

So frustrating this problem.  It's an issue that keeps re-occurring yet it never gets resolved.  It's almost like Microsoft do an update to Outlook and it takes BT days to catch up or patch the change.  It is getting that painful that next renewal I may well change provider.... 

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Still not working and we are now talking days not just a few hours which the service has repeatably been absent for.  This really is poor from BT, time to consider the alternatives.

0 Ratings
skswindon
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

I have this error on Outlook and a related issue on my iPad (continually asked to confirm password, even though it is correct). My wife is experiencing the same iPad issue on her BT/Yahoo email account, and so is my daughter on her Samsung Note on her BT/Yahoo email account.

So it's definitely a BT issue. 100% 

0 Ratings