Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

The whole village has fiber apart from me

Hi there,

Back in November we moved into our 300 year old house in a small hamlet of around 15 houses. I wasn't expecting brilliant internet speeds so signed up for BT unlimited with an estimated speed of between 1-3.5Mb/s. We have since found out two significant points relating to the internet in our area.

First of all my current download speed is 0.38Mb/s - this simply isn't adequate for family use. If one person is on the internet just trying to browse the internet then nobody else can use it.

Secondly and most surprising of all is after going door to door (doesn't take long) I have discovered the entire hamlet has fiber to the property and if they choose to they could sign up for 50Mb/s, even up to 300Mb/s BT infinity. The majority have done this. Our property is the only one not connected. There are telephone poles with green fiber splitter boxes dotted all over the area - one being directly outside my house.

BT initially told me not to worry and that fiber was coming to my area. Once I explained that fiber has already been to my area I was given mixed answers depending on who I spoke to. One helpline assistant bordered on rude and told me overhead fiber doesn't exist before putting me through to openreach who refused to help me saying I shouldn't have been put through.

We desperately want a useable internet service. Both me and my wife require this for work. it's incredibly frustrating that it is practically in my own garden but we have fallen through the cracks and are told we can't have it when in reality an openreach engineer could fix this in no time at all.

Even being able to discuss the situation with someone who isn't reading from a script or checking exactly the same things I can do myself on the BT website would be something.

Please help us

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: The whole village has fiber apart from me

Can you put your number into here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post up the results please.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 28

Give the FTTP (fibre to the premises) team a call on 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 28

Thank you for the relpy, I've done this one a few times before. Results are...

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.25 to 2Available--------
Fixed Rate1----Available--------
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 28

'when in reality an openreach engineer could fix this in no time at all.'

That statement couldn't be anymore wrong. The Network Build Process of Installing FTTP is very time consuming, complex and can be held up by things such as no capacity at the Splitter Node, blocked ducts, etc.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 28

It took an Openreach engineer at the neighbouring property less than two hours. I know not every property is the same. My point is an engineer won't know how long it could take until it's looked at.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 28

It will only take a Stage 2 Installer an hour or two because all they have to do is install the EZ Bend Lead In, splice it at the CSP then plug in an ONT.

The Network Build work that takes place before that, Stage 1 can and does take more than a couple of hours.

I know, I work with it everyday.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 28

Thanks for the number 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

@R3GG wrote:

It took an Openreach engineer at the neighbouring property less than two hours. I know not every property is the same. My point is an engineer won't know how long it could take until it's looked at.

You can't just connect a random bit of fibre to a property, there is far more to it than that!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 28

"It will only take a Stage 2 Installer an hour or two because all they have to do is install the EZ Bend Lead In, splice it at the CSP then plug in an ONT.

The Network Build work that takes place before that, Stage 1 can and does take more than a couple of hours.

I know, I work with it everyday."

Both neighbours have it taken from the pole outside my property so should the Stage 1 work not have already been done?

0 Ratings