cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 25

The wretched HH5

That is one wretched device.  It ranks in many respects with VirginMedia's Superhub 1.

You all know this of course, but I've just got to rant it to help get my disgust out of my system.

1/

The thing drops the connection several times a day. 

21:00:40, 13 Feb.(19528.810000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.

2/

No convenient router based way of turning FON off.  It should be an opt-in feature not a bureaucratic My BT mechanism - especially as I never received a BT ID for this circuit.

3/

I can't change DNS.  I want to.

4/

I get this in the event log every few seconds.

20:53:02, 13 Feb.BLOCKED 3 more packets (because of Advanced Filter Rule)

5/

There is no mechanism that I can find in the HH5 for setting a firewall URL filter.  Whhat kind of dumb idiot design is that?  Must I go to BT's web site using a BT ID I haven't got to mess around with Parental Controls? 

Apart from whinging, of course I'm gonna do something about it.  I'll by a decent DSL router which I always knew I'd have to.  But I was curious as to the HH5 so gave it a try.

What a pile of poo.

Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 25

Re: The wretched HH5

My HH5 now resides on a shelf gathering dust. I replaced it with an Asus RT-N16 flashed with the latest Tomato (Shibby) firmware connected to my Openreach fibre modem. The process is pretty straightforward and is well documented on various websites. 

This router is more reliable, faster, secure and has better range and is infinitely more configurable. The main thing that bugged me about the HH5 was the inability to change the DNS settings and bypass BTs flakey DNS servers and their interference with all my DNS traffic.

Another thing I was not happy about was when I had a problem with my line, BT wanted my IP address so they could remotely connect to my HH5 to configure something. When I realised they could snoop whenever they liked on my local LAN via the HH5, it had to go.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

ISPs normally provide a cheap (to them) and basic router, which is easy to support, with nothing the user can fiddle with, that cannot be fixed with a factory reset.

You are under no obligation to use a home hub, but BT will not support anything else, which is understandable, when you consider the number of different routers available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 25

I'm fine with not having any support from BT. My dealings with them have been a long and painful odyssey of ignorance, incompetence and lies. I've been hung up on by support staff when I told them something that didn't appear on their script and they didn't know what to do. That is inexcusable for any member of support staff to hang up on a customer, and I wasn't being rude or offensive at the time (which is difficult to achieve sometimes). To be fair though, the UK based support staff have been a bit more knowledgeable and better at apologising than their Indian colleagues who seem to just redirect you to another queue when you ask them a question they can't handle.

I'm pretty tech-savvy so if there are any problems on my side of the modem I can fix them. I just have to hope that BT keep their side of things working so that I don't have to deal with their woefully inadequate support dept.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

homehub doesn't work - buy an open router.

does anyone else see how ridiculous this is? we PAY bt for broadband and they CANNOT provide it reliably with their OWN device. when is enough going to be enough?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

I can not understand why people come on moaning about an ISP router being rubbish. I would take that as being a given. It is almost certainly going to be the cheapest router that the ISP can get away with.

If it does work and meets your needs then good and well but if it doesn't I don't understand why people don't just bin it and buy a decent third party router which will almost certainly be better than any router supplied by an ISP. It remains your property and you can use it with any ISP if you were to move providers.

If you have cable TV you don't expect the cable company to provide you with a TV so that you can use the service. You go out and buy a TV that you want, that suits your needs and pocket. Perhaps ISPs should take a leaf out of that book and stop providing any router or make it an optional extra with a selection of third party routers with various specs and prices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

and i cannot see how you can post that and not be joking. are we or are we not paying bt for broadband that as per their wishes uses a hh5?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

You are paying for BT Broadband and that is all. BT give you a "free" router to use if you choose to use it. There is no obligation on you to use it. BT do not "wish" you to use it, that is up to you and you alone.

Once you have finished your initial term of contract if you want another router or your router goes faulty you will need to pay for a replacement or agree to another contract so why not just do away with that nonsense to start with by saying its free and don't supply one at all and let the customer choose their own as I have suggested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 25

I thought that the BT Home Hub was one of the better routers supplied by one of the broadband providers (?).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 25

oh come on , you're being disingenuous.

0 Ratings