cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeGrayson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Thinking of getting Infinity

Hi all,I'm new to the forum and am thinking of getting Infinity,I've checked my phone number and it said I could get a max of 19.8 mb down & 5mb up.Im currently with Sky and get 3mb down max! Will it be likely that I get anything like the estimate or will it be a lot less?
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thinking of getting Infinity

@GeorgeGrayson wrote:
Hi all,I'm new to the forum and am thinking of getting Infinity,I've checked my phone number and it said I could get a max of 19.8 mb down & 5mb up.Im currently with Sky and get 3mb down max! Will it be likely that I get anything like the estimate or will it be a lot less?

Hi George and welcome.

There are no promises about getting more than the estimates the checker gives..... mine was 26Mbps and actually get around 37Mbps.

Any friends or neighbours nearby have Infinity that you can ask?.... suppose that was a bit obvious but just in case.

Also there are plans that BT are going to increase speeds soon... but whether that comes as an extra charge, well we wait to see.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Plans-to-increase-speed/m-p/254793#M11724

Checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

My checker results.- Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 26.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 11.1Mbps

Link to my before Infinity and after results .- http://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Whats-making-you-happy-right-now/m-p/237717#M3425 

Those results were obtained using wireless "n" which is best to get the max out of the Infinity speeds.

If your equipment is wireless "g" don't worry as it's easy to convert... you just plug in a wireless "n" adapter into your laptop/PC  USB port

The upload result is capped at 2Mbps as I am on Infinity Option 1. Anything to save a penny or two Smiley Happy

Note if your a P2P user I recommend you do some research (Forum search box top right) as BT do manage that.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

@GeorgeGrayson wrote:

Hi George.

Welcome to the forums.

PC has already said that there are no guarantees, but most people have found that the estimate that BT give is very conservative.

So it is likely to be higher, but not guaranteedSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
GeorgeGrayson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the reply's,I've been using the number checker recently and it seems infinity has only just become available so don't think any neighbours are on it,most are with sky according to my iPhone.Im not a p2p downloader so that should not be a problem,I mostly use it for gaming,you tube & streaming the odd movie to my Xbox and am thinking of option 1,do you find the 40G is sufficient?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

I , myself cannot answer that one George as i am on unlimited.

PC or someone else who is on the 40Gb might come back and tell you.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Hi I also like playing online games, my xbox online and watching the odd movie.

Just wanted to give you and idea of how much data I go through according to bt's online usage meter.

This reading is from the 23rd October.  

Hope this information helps  

I am on the unlimited package and a good thing too, to be fair I have not done too much this month and I still went past 40GB.   usage.jpg  

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

@GeorgeGrayson wrote:
Thanks for the reply's,I've been using the number checker recently and it seems infinity has only just become available so don't think any neighbours are on it,most are with sky according to my iPhone.Im not a p2p downloader so that should not be a problem,I mostly use it for gaming,you tube & streaming the odd movie to my Xbox and am thinking of option 1,do you find the 40G is sufficient?

Hi George

There is a Usage monitor on the BT website for you to view your monthly broadband usage.... picture below.

I have up to 4 sometimes 5 PC/Laptops/netbook connected.

All mainly for surfing and youtube or catching a program or two on iplayer

Sometimes downloading a torrent.... This month I downloaded two singles but last month was two albums.

In the summer I watched the Eastbourne air display live for most of the afternoon and it's usage came in at 1.1Gb for that day.

So I could have done that every day for a month and a bit left over for surfing etc.

When I was with Tiscali on ADSL I was unlimited but Talk Talk took over and imposed a 40GB usage cap I was annoyed with them but they placated me by showing me my monthly usage figures which only came in at 6GB.

With that info I was then able to jump ship and move to BT ADSL with a 10Gb cap.

I was on that for nearly a year and during the year I received two advisory emails from BT telling me I was up to 7GB and getting near my limit.

Since moving to a 40GB capped Infinity I have never gone above 20GB. (Interestingly my usage has gone up yet I feel I am doing exactly the same as I used to?)

(Mind you I have a friend on Virgin who uses my monthly allowance in a day or two!!!!)

I asked BT "what if I found that I needed the extra usage".... they said that I could upgrade from Infinity "option 1" with 40GB cap to "Option 2" unlimited during the 18 Month contract... ie you don't have to wait until the end of the "option 1" 18 month contract.

Not sure if you changed whether you have to start a new 18 month contract or not... you might want to get that clarified.

What I don't do is streaming movies or gaming and have no Xbox so can't share any experience on that I am afraid.

Oct. Usage so far.jpg

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

If the OP gets treated like me and some others on this forum when he/she finally gets Infinty,my advice would be stop thinking about getting Infinty.Infinity was fine for me for 3 months,but now it is useless.

0 Ratings
GeorgeGrayson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for the info,I think I will ask what's involved if I want to upgrade from the 40G limit to unlimited if the need arises
0 Ratings
GeorgeGrayson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

What problems have you had ironman123?
0 Ratings