Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Thinking of joining BT from Sky

Hi,

Currently with Sky (ex Be) with a fixed IP.  Do BT give a fixed IP option?  Also, do they still use my connection to offer a public facing (open) wifi to extend their Wifi. 

Regards

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinking of joining BT from Sky

Static IP only available on BT Business broadband.

BT Wifi is enabled by default, but can be disabled if you wish.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

BT do not offer a fixed IP on residential lines.  you are automatically opted into BTWIFI giving you access to the internet when out and about.  you can after installation opt out just you then do net get the benefit of the BTWIFI connections when out and about

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

What if I use my own router ? I assume they'll disable the public network for my use.

I've read too many bad things about the home hub to want to risk it.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

No, if you use your own router don't opt out and you will still be able to use the WiFi when out and about. That's what I do.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 6

Hi @leejayd 

Sorry hit the wrong button, if you get an email.

Yes you can use your own router, if not locked to a specfic ISP.

This would still allow you to access BTWifi networks, if you had not opted out of that service, but the TR-069 would not be able to implement the BTWifi network on your third party router as the third party router has not been configured to allow access to the configuration of the router from the TR-069 WAN management system.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings