cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 48

Thought it was way too good to be true.....

After many years of waiting for some sort of decent connection, I was finally able to order Infinity 4 FTTP from BT on the 10th of November.

We already had a BT phone line but no broadband from BT.

So the ordering process went smoothly with no problems.

Openreach would attend on the 22nd of November, and a BT engineer on the 29th of November to connect up.

Except that it was a no show from the Openreach guy.

Checking the date and times in the emails I notice this, quote

"Our engineers are carrying out some extra work to get BT Infinity all the way to your home. Once this has been done, we'll be in touch to let you know your broadband start date. We might have told you an estimated start date already and if this changes after a survey has been completed we'll be in touch. "

Unquote

Now worrying that this could take weeks or even months I contact live chat, and after much trouble convincing the chap that just because I have a BT socket the guy on the 29th won't turn up because there's no fibre here to cannect, they agree to call me on my mobile, lots of music for many minutes, mobile loses signal, fibre support man gone, lost will to live.

I can't face starting live chat over again, it's so painful.

I have 2 days left to cancel within the 14 day period, what should I do.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks guys.

0 Ratings
47 REPLIES 47
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 48

Re: Thought it was way too good to be true.....

Contact the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787 and advise them of what has or rather what has not happened and see what they say.

0 Ratings
sparkymark75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 48

Prepare yourself for a frustrating experience.
0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 48

@sparkymark75 wrote:
Prepare yourself for a frustrating experience.

Yeah I know, I just had a mind numbing experience with live chat.

Edit........... chatting now.

0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 48

Ok that wasn't painful at all..............

I have been assured it will be up and running on the 29th of November by the FTTP team, who have just looked at this issue.

Personally I think it's going to be tight time wise as I know how far the cable has to come. (About 1km I think).

Anyway good news and I will keep you informed.

BTW I can cancel without a penalty after the 14 days so long as the service is not active.

Thanks for the advice.

0 Ratings
dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 48

"Personally I think it's going to be tight time wise as I know how far the cable has to come. (About 1km I think)."

You say simply FTTP if you look at as couple of todays posts on FTTP you will see the posters have confused me with saying FTTP as there are two versions apparently.

Native FTTP and FTTP On demand.

With the native the fibre is allready at the premises and with On demand the fibre as to be installed back to the cabinet and is expensive and charged for.  You sound like your in the second and I wonder if you would share with me the cost you are being charged for the 1 km fibre cable?

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 48

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 48

xRaySpex

If you are asking dnpark38 to post Avaiability Checker he has been posting about FTTP on Demand on a few threads

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/My-FTTP-diary-Order-stage-onwards/m-p/17950...

and he has his own ongoing thread so it would be better to take it there rather than on this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Re-10-connection-drops-per-day-HH6/td-p/178...

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 48

'Openreach would attend on the 22nd of November, and a BT engineer on the 29th of November to connect up.'

BT Engineer? The only 'BT Engineers' you'll find are ones who work for TSO, Technology and Service Operations but they don't visit people's homes. Their work is maintaining Exchanges, Radio Masts, etc.

If the FTTP your getting is Legacy FTTP then it's done in a Two Step Process. The Step 1 Team, usually Contractors put up Fibre Tuping from the Manifold and blow in Fibre using a Compressor. They'll then fit a CSP to the front of your house.

A Step 2 Openreach Engineer will then visit a few days after that to install an ONT Internally and wil run an EZ Bend Fibre Cable from there to the CSP. Max length is 30m but realistically it's 27m as you need slack at the CSP for splicing.

If it's CBT (Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre) then there's no Step 1 visit. There is just one visit, again from an Openreach Engineer who will install the Fibre Cable from the CBT DP and install an ONT inside your house.

BT or these supposed Engineers of theirs have no involvement in the physical install process whatsoever.
0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 48

This is a normal FTTP install (Not FTTPoD), FTTP has only just become available last week, I could possibly be the first down our lane to order it.

We are a little bit outside the main village, and the fibre line is at present up by the (Very small) village green, we don't have a cabinet in the village, the checker says cabinet 2 which is located in the next town, FTTC wouldn't work, the cabinets too far away.

Our exchange is in the next town, about 5Km away. Cabinet 2 is not far away from the exchange.

We are now spoilt for choice, we have wireless broadband 20Mb from a water tower 3 miles away, which I have been on for the last 3 years, and I have just had a leaflet through the door that Gigaclear with Complete Utilities are laying a fibre cable up our lane with an access point for each house, we are a country lane with 12 houses well spaced out, there can't be any money in this.

I should add our BT line is overhead.

Yes Starwire200 apparently the only engineers I'll see will be Openreach ones, as I was told on the phone earlier, and far too many CSP's, ONT's and EZ's for me to understand

BBC.jpg