Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 24

Thunderbird and IMAP

Go to solution

I downloaded the latest version of Thunderbird and allowed the wizard to setup my account for IMAP access. It works ok most of the time but sometimes Get Mail takes ages and other times saving sent items fails. I would like to manually check the settings which I am ok doing if I could find what they should be!

I have trawled through the help screens here http://diagnostics.bt.com/wf/Start.do?workflow=Email but they are hard to read and anyway they focus on POP3.

Is there anywhere that the IMAP settings are listed please?

Of course if anyone knows what my issue might be then feel free!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Thunderbird and IMAP

Go to solution

The settings are on this page.

Using Thunderbird e-mail client instead of Yahoo web mail

If you have a lot of folders to synch, then it can take a while. I sometimes get the error when saving sent items, even though they are actually in the sent folder.

Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Ummm, my settings are all in line with your pages Keith and if you are having similar problems sometimes then it helps in a funny kind of way!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

There is no pattern to it, but its quite rare. Perhaps its when the servers get very busy?

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Actually, having spent a few more days with it, I get the error saving sent items quite a bit. Which is a bit of a pain really, especially if I don't notice it.

Can you foresee any problems if I uninstall and try another, say Opera?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Its more likely to be a slow server issue, so another program may not make any difference.

It may be possible to alter the Thunderbird prefs file to change the timeout period.

However it seems to be a common problem with Thunderbird. One solution is here

http://thomas-cokelaer.info/blog/2011/08/thunderbird-hangs-forever-when-copying-message-to-sent-fold...

A Google search will reveal quite a few results.

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks again Keth, have created a folder called 'Sent TBird' and have set it to save in that and seems to be ok so far. Will monitor!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

I have experienced similar problems when saving messages to the Sent folder using IMAP with Thunderbird.

See,  BTYahoo-Email-IMAP-Problem-saving-messages-in-Sent-folder

In my case this has been going on for many months and is certainly not a rare occurrence. It happens 95% of the time when sending messages. I have yet to find a solution but did try two alternative e-mail client programs running under Windows Vista. In both cases the problem remained, which shows it is not particular to Thunderbird. 

In the next couple of months I may get the chance to try things on an alternative PC and an alternative OS (Linux). If the problem is still present in both of those cases then I will have to assume the fault lies with BTYahoo and my account.

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

So far I haven't had the problem since changing to a uniquely named sent items folder.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

The solution is above, you simply create a separate "sent" folder within Thunderbird. I use on called "sent2". That avoids the attempted double-update of the BY Yahoo "sent" folder which resides on their server.

0 Ratings