Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: Thunderbird and IMAP

Go to solution

Thompson218 wrote:

So far I haven't had the problem since changing to a uniquely named sent items folder.

Neither have I.

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have been finding recently that the problem still exists, though seems to be limited to sending files with large (ish) attachments say 500KB+

It happened this morning but on clicking retry the third time it eventually worked and the copy went into my SentTBird folder.

Still feel as though this is a BT server timeout issue than Thunderbird.

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution
Still having the problem with even with a plain email (3kb) so back to square one then.

Can the 'solved' be removed from this thread?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:

I have experienced similar problems when saving messages to the Sent folder using IMAP with Thunderbird.

See,  BTYahoo-Email-IMAP-Problem-saving-messages-in-Sent-folder

In my case this has been going on for many months and is certainly not a rare occurrence. It happens 95% of the time when sending messages. I have yet to find a solution but did try two alternative e-mail client programs running under Windows Vista. In both cases the problem remained, which shows it is not particular to Thunderbird. 

In the next couple of months I may get the chance to try things on an alternative PC and an alternative OS (Linux). If the problem is still present in both of those cases then I will have to assume the fault lies with BTYahoo and my account.

I'm still having the same problems.

I tried Keith's suggestion of setting Thunderbird to save copies of messages in a different folder in two ways.

(1)  Set Thunderbird to save in the local Sent folder rather than the server-side Sent folder. This did avoid all the "failed to save" errors, but because it is a local folder on my PC it cannot be synched using IMAP and hence I can't see the sent messages on my mobile phone. So not a solution for me.

(2)  Used Thunderbird to create a new server-side folder called Sent2 and set Thunderbird to save in this folder. This didn't totally stop the problem but interestingly it did initially drop from happening 90% of the time to approximately 20% of the time. I have continued to use this set up on both my PC and mobile phone for 2 months and they can both sync with the new folder. However, the error rate has gradually crept up over time and now seems to be happening approximately 70% of the time I send a message (not on the phone, just when using Thunderbird on the PC).  

Over Xmas I also tried another test I previously mentioned. I used a relative's PC in another part of the country. They have the same OS (Vista) and also use Thunderbird. So I added my BT account as a new IMAP account and tried sending message (saving in the default Sent folder this time). The result was that I couldn't create the error, even when adding large attachments. It worked fine every time. This testing used a Sky broadband connection rather than BT broadband. 

So, I'm still confused as to what is causing the problem and whether it is due to my home PC set up or something to do with the way the BT broadband and BTYahoo servers are handling things.

Any more ideas? Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Have you ever dleted and re-installed Thunderbird on your device?

If yes, then the profile of the previous installion will be on your PC and it needs removing and a fresh installation undertaken. I had to do this 18 months ago, and for the life of me cant remember what I did. With a bit of luck Andy_N will pick up this post and tell you [and remind me].

Failuire to remove the previous profile details will cause a conflict between the two installations.

You could try looking in the Mozilla help section in the meantime.

Sorry I cant remember - well over hill 50 by now Smiley Sad

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

In my case it was a clean install also, I have already created the separate "sent items" folder and for a while thought it had sorted it. Alas no. Incidentally this happens on another computer albeit running the same version of Windows 7 and Thunderbird.

That said this all points to be a server side issue doesn't it?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

No.

Not unless you have removed the previous profile from your system files on your PC.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

The reason I don't think it's a Thunderbird profile problem is that as previously mentioned ..

" ... did try two alternative e-mail client programs running under Windows Vista. In both cases the problem remained, which shows it is not particular to Thunderbird."

It would be useful to know if anyone else still gets the problem when using an e-mail client program other than Thunderbird. I tried it using Mail (comes with Vista) and the trial version of Postbox. Both reported the same problem when trying to save a copy of the message on the server-side Sent folder.

I have multi-OS boot set up on my PC so when I get round to it I will try sending from Linux using the default e-mail client and Thunderbird.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

I use Claws Mail on Linux, and I've never seen this problem.

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

Are you using IMAP?

0 Ratings