Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dozey-mary
Message 1 of 7

Time connected

Go to solution

I have just started using Homehub 2. My previous router only connected when I opened a program to access the web, the homehub seems to connect and stay connected even if I am not wanting to be on the web, can I stop it from doing this please? I only checked my emails and then did some work on my computer but my connection time was more than two hours.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Time connected

Go to solution

You are not charged for the time you are connected. Its normal for the home hub to stay connected all the time, just switch off your computer when you are not using it.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Your hub is designed to be connected to the WAN, wide area network, permanently.

Just because it is, doesn't mean your computer has to be .... although, it ought to be, to upgrade anti-virus and browser software versions, to keep your computer current and protected.

If you stop your hub being connected, it will not glean the best possible connection to the internet, in terms of speed and throughput, simply because the line is performance derived automatically.

The internet in general has become a huge network, on which millions of computers sit, including yours, if you allow it to, and that forms the basis for the internet in general.

Using the hub periodically to collect emails etc. is not condusive to proper use, although you are at liberty to do so as you wish. But clearly, there are advantages in maintaining a permanent network connection, as already stated.

The BT network architecture is not really meant to be used temporarily ... for various reasons. Not least, for software updates.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The Home Hub is intended to be left switched on 24 hours a day.  The only way to turn it on and off it at the wall socket.

That ensures that your internet connection is ready and waiting any time you want it.

0 Ratings
dozey-mary
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I am leaving the router switched on and connected all of the time. I was worried that my computer was connected and in effect online for much longer than I was actually using it for. If I'm not surfing or checking emails does the time connected count as part of my package? Sorry if I sound a bit dim!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Time connected makes no difference to anything.  Its the amount of data you download and upload that BT measures.

"Download" here isn't just downloading individual files from web sites - it includes all data you receive including web pages, streaming audio and video, on-line games, and so on.

0 Ratings
dozey-mary
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you, i understand now.

0 Ratings