cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Time to move on from BT

Yes, been with BT nearly 18 months (ok wasn't actually connected until 6 months after the original date) but seems the original connection date stands as the start of the contract. Part of the problem is a landline phone I hardly, if ever, use and the fact that we keep getting emails about approaching our paltry download cap (10gb) each month. Yes i could upgrade but to what? It's just more money for a very poor initial service. Sorry but a 1.47mb connection isn't BB. It might be sold as BB but having lived a few years ago with a 6mb/s connection, they are poles apart in both accessing and experience. Other members of my family pay the same amount as I do and get much faster speeds. Hardly fair pricing with no incentive for BT to upgrade things. I did ask when fibre might arrive but the chuckle in the reply meant never - even though they had to lay a new cable from the exchange to get me and others connected 12 months ago. 

I've thought about moving to Plusnet (just unlimited BB, no phone) and they would be cheaper than BT for sure but still using the same grotty copper connection - their test indicates an even slower connection (at 1mb/s - I think it is nearer the real speed)! Living a bit out in the sticks the satellite option is becoming a very attractive proposition. I don't do online games and that 20mb/s download speed, 20gb daytime cap is very tempting, even if it comes at extra cost. I'm surpprised BT doesn't offer the same. Yes, it is about another £12 a month more than I pay now but I could do so much more with it. Join film download sites (not a practicable option at all at the moment) etc. 

So are there any nasties to be on the alert for when I finally do shift?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Time to move on from BT

Make sure you get a MAC code from BT, and use it when switching.  If you don't, you may get hit with a £30 cancellation fee.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for that info. What happens if I just terminate. Do I end up paying £30? For what? Strange world we seem to be entering of late if charges are made for closing an account.. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Yep.  If you just cancel your broadband, you get hit with a £30 disconnection fee.  I blame OFCOM who allowed Openreach to get away with it (BT are just passing on the fee from Openreach).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

The Broadband Cease Charge is tucked away in the Terms and Conditions. Few of us read them, but we all accept them when we take the service. Let's face it, even if we did wade through reams of T&C who would refuse to sign up because they noticed the often avoidable possibility of having to fork out £30 at some future date?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings