Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
florida9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

To Infinity...and beyond??

Go to solution

Having had pathetic broadband speed of 1 Mb download and .5 Mb upload for the past 12 years due to copper cable/ distance from exchange I was overjoyed recently to find out I could now get BT Infinity and ordered it immediately. The Home Hub arrived last Wednesday (even through all the snow!) and an Openreach engineer phoned on Friday to say he was on his way !!  He duly arrived at 8:20am and set about a small rewire job to reroute my main socket to a spare one I used for a dedicated separate line for the computer (which was to be disconnected once Infinity was installed). So far...so good! He said this would be an easy and quick install.....famous last words!

Once he established a signal at the new master socket (Great...he said....you have almost 40 down and 10 upload at the socket according to my meter.....yeess!) He set up the home hub and router and tested the computer using Speedtest.net.....!!!  Only 4.5 Mb download ...but 9Mb upload !!!......Smiley Sad

After another 3 hours of changing cables, changing modems (he didn't have another hub on the van to try),  

and countless 3 way conversations on the phone with his control and other engineers and requests  for the "phone line build to be checked" he said "I've never ever in 23 years had one as strange as this.....download speed is always usually about 4-5 times higher than upload...but in your case it's much lower ....We'll have to go for lunch and to our next job....but I'm waiting for an answer from my control  and I'll ring you as soon as I hear from them"(apparently as he works for BT Openreach some Oftel regs say he can't access BT engineering directly 😞 ) .....and he left at 1:30pm.

Half an hour later he rang to say he had been told that the speed drop was "probably down to my computer and if the customer is still not happy with the speed....he should contact BTs help line"  He said his part was done and I had "40/10 at the socket....so not much more I can do"

My PC is around 4 years old and has a dual core AMD processor/ 500MB drive and 4 MB of RAM and has a Realtek

ethernet card rated at 1Gigabit so it seems to me is well higher spec than minimum required ?? It runs Windows XP.....but surely that should not restrict speed to any extent? Also we tried two laptops (both by wireless and ethernet cable) ...and got pretty much the same results....around 5 Mb download and 7 upload. I have always kept the PC as clean as I can using trusted antispyware and antimalware programs regularly. Virus protection is via Bullguard.

I tried several internet speed tests and ALL show pathetic download speed of around 3 to 5 Mb.  BT speedtest shows around 31 Mb !!!????.... (Am I right in thinking this doesn't test package transmission...just speed between PC and nearest local exchange?)  Obviously BT will claim theirs is correct....but why does EVERY other test I have tried come back with very poor results (for fibre optic service) ?  

I reported the problem to BT on Saturday. Eventually I was put through to the tech team (in India?) and in almost unintelligible English a guy told me that the new line could not just be "whacked up" to full speed and it might take 48 hours to achieve good speeds. (Strangely enough, the next day Speedtest.net which the engineer was using increased download result to 10 Mb...but it's stayed at that or below since). Is what the tech guy true or not ?

Right!......(sorry for the lengthy runup).....my questions then are:

1. Why is every other speed test on the net showing pathetic down load speeds (for Infinity that is) when BTs speed check site alone shows acceptable to high rates? The performance of the PC does not seem noticably faster than when I had the old 1Mb/0.5 Mb service.

2.  Anyone suggest why the Download is substantially lower than the Upload speed? Could this be capped in some way at the exchange? (but if that was the case why did the full potential signal still show on the engineers meter?)

3.  If the BT "tech" guy was right (and apart from the second day's slight improvement...nothing else has changed)how come an Openreach engineer with 23 years experience wasted a full morning trying to achieve better performance when all he had to say was "wait for a couple of days and see if the speed increases ?

Very, very disillusioned with the Infinity service so far !!.....  😞  

Thanks for reading.......Hoping someone here can help solve some of the puzzle.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: To Infinity...and beyond??

Go to solution
There is a 10 day settling in period during which the equipment at the exchange will try and optimise your line for the best combination of speed and stability.
If you are still having problems after that then post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/ but if you read other infinity posts the ADSL stats that are usually a good pointer to issues are not available as the modem is separate.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
alanchown
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
Is it possible to borow a laptop from someone just to prove it off the computer, unlikely as it may seem.

Alan
0 Ratings
PolyGenesis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

I hope it was a typo when you said you had a "500MB" drive and "4MB" of RAM i take it you ment GB. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Can you post the full results of the BT speed test? This may give some pointers but BT will not do anything until the 'training period' is over.
0 Ratings
florida9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Geoff93
Thank you very much for your reply.  I have today been contacted by BT who will send a new home hub for me to try to see if that improves things. (I live in hope!).  Just spoken to a friend who is a qualified professional computer engineer and who built my present PC. He said that it's highly unlikely that the PC specs could cause a problem. He has a similar spec machine to mine and is with Virgin. He told me that when he moved to them the changeover was intantaneous and his speed went up to 25+ Mb immediately the switch was made. 

The BT contact has kindly given me his name and said to contact him via the BT site email if the replacement hub doesn't work.

0 Ratings
florida9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Polygenesis,

Yes , sorry....it was a typo...it's 4GB of course! πŸ™‚
0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
It may be that the engineer's comments have got back to someone who can do something. Hope it solves the problem - Please let us know.
0 Ratings
florida9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

PolyGenesis,

Yes sorry...my error of course.... Memory is 4GB. πŸ™‚

Geoff,

Readings from BT speedtest.  On the face of it these look good...but are in no way supported by any other speed test site on the internet.  I can also state that the webpage access, video download (youtube) etc is not apparently much faster than before Infinity. 

Download speedachieved during the test was - 35826 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8198 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

0 Ratings
florida9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Just as a followup to this post....after lots of help and suggestions I was still getting dimal download figures from all speed checker sites except BTs.......then two nights ago I stumbled across the solution myself. 
I am still doing some tests but it would appear that, because I was using the old "classic" version of Google via IE8 on both my PC and lap top (and I guess the Openreach engineer must have had the same on his laptop)....that the old version must have been causing some bottleneck of the signal (although I had tried using Firefox too).

I discovered this quite by accident when browsing for an address on Google Earth.  I checked to see if there was an updated version of that program and found there was....so I downloaded it.  As part of the free download you also have to accept the new Google Chrome browser (which I didn't really like when it first came out as I could not seem to find my way around it).  When the new Google Earth installed, it automatically made Google Chrome my default browser which aggravated me at first......but I thought....I'll give it a try to see if it was as fast a browser as they say.   I called up speedtest.net and was absolutely amazed (and delighted !) to see a download speed of 37.5 Mbps download...and 7.6Mbps upload show on the screen.  I then tried a couple of other speed sites with the same fast results. 
I went back to browsing through my old Google and got the original poor readings on speedtest.net.

So Google Chrome it is then! πŸ™‚
The BT customer help guy said he did not quite understand it either......but whatever....it works!!
37 Mbps will do me nicely!!: Smiley Very Happy
0 Ratings