Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

To upgrade or not to upgrade

Go to solution
Hello - advice needed please. I am an existing BT customer on standard copper broadband - I get reasonable download speeds but sometimes it can be painfully slow so I am considering upgrading to Infinity 1 and would be very grateful for some advice on the following before I make a commitment to upgrade. (The monthly rental is pretty much the same so the only risk is signing up for a 12 month contract) 1) I have been told by BT that download speeds in my area are estimated at 30-34 Mb so this would seem a good enough reason to move over. However, I always connect wirelessly and they said this could have quite a big effect on my speeds but weren't able to say by how much. Is there an average percentage reduction? Would it affect it so badly that I might as well stay on standard broadband? 2) I will need to have an engineer to do my installation as I will need a new faceplate etc - how long does it normally take from the date of ordering before installation takes place - weeks or days? Or is it actually quite easy to self-install? 3) I have been reading the recent posts on the forum and it makes pretty frightening reading but, of course, people only post on here when they have a problem so I have no good reviews to balance them against. Is fibre really all it's cracked up to be?? 4) Are the engineers unreliable all the time? In theory my installation should be straightforward, because the green cabinet is about 100 metres away and the nearest exchange is at the bottom of the hill, but I haven't had to contact BT for years about my phone or broadband service and the thought of getting into a long winded situation like some of your posters fills me with dread. Thanks for any help offered.
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number 

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry about the appearance of my post - it had seperate paragraphs when I typed it!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

The changeover from ADSL to Infinity is completely straightfoward and simple, if you haven't already got an HH5, one will be sent to you in the post and it is just plug and play. Wireless speed is unpredictable as there are many factors involved, however in most cases it will be fine. If you are connecting wirelessly at the moment, your wireless adaptor will give you an indication of the speed of the link currently, as long as that is higher than your predicted Infinity speed you will be ok.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

you need to be aware that the monthly costs you see advertised in the press and on TV are far cheaper than you will get if you upgrade to infinity as you are an existing customer.  the low costs are to entice new customers to BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry to be thick - how/where do i check the speed of my wireless adaptor?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly - Yes I have seen the prices for new customers (and have already moaned at BT that it's a bit unfair) but they all do it don't they. 

As it happen,s it will only be £1 or so more per month than what I pay for standard broadband and the usage limit is double what I currently have so in this respect it's a no brainer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@maisiemoo wrote:

Sorry to be thick - how/where do i check the speed of my wireless adaptor?

If you click on the wireless icon in the system tray, select the wireless adaptor and right click, slect status and it should tell you the speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks Licqourice - it says 54Mbps so thats all good.

In your original reply you said I should just be able to "plug and play" the Hub5, which implied I wouldn't need a bt engineer to visit. 

The main BT socket in our house is the old style with just one phone "hole" and we have an adaptor in it (microfilter?) that we then plug the phone lead and broadband Hub3 into.  I assumed this would not be suitable and that I would need a engineer to swap it to a new style faceplate for fibre to work correctly - are you saying fibre would work if the Hub5 was plugged into the existing socket & adaptor?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

For Infinity 1 an engineer visit isn't usually necessary. Whilst a fltered faceplate is the ideal,  your current arrangement should work fine.

0 Ratings