Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

To upgrade or not?

Go to solution

Im new to broadband and using the internet. At the moment I am using more than the 10mg I have as a start up package, but my son also uses the internet and he is moving to Belgium in a month so I want to know if I upgrade can I then down grade if I find I am not using more than the 10mg or do I have to wait until the end of the contract?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: To upgrade or not?

Go to solution

Hi Ffae,

You will always find it easier to upgrade, downgrading is always going to be harder when you are in contract.

If as you say your son is moving to Belgium shortly, and you believe that you might not want the higher package then, I would wait the month and then see.

In saying that, with your son going to Belgium, you might wish to use the broadband for video calls to him wich can start eating into bandwidth.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
Thank you for our reply Toekneem, would that be for skype to, I've no idea how much that uses.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Hello Ffae I am on 10GB usage, I am the only one using the

computer, I occasionaly use Skype but I am never anywhere near

the 10GB limit at the end of the month, really it is about what

you are going to be using the internet for, remember you have to pay £5 for up to 5GB extra used over the 10GB   

Edit

Even if you only go 1GB over you are still charged £5

regards Pat

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
Thank you Patty, Mostly I will be browsing but I have no idea what MBs/GBs I will be using and I dont want to pay £5 for 5GB if I will be using 20+ per month, if I upgrade I pay £4 more... I find all this very confusing. I think I will be using Amazon, FB, Skype,altho I do use a chatroom to, how do I find out what use online??
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@Ffae wrote:
Thank you for our reply Toekneem, would that be for skype to, I've no idea how much that uses.

Hi Ffae.

I don't use Skype, and Patty-L has just answered about that, she is also right about the usage , you might not need any more GB. All I was suggesting was , if your son is moving in a month, maybe hold of the Upgrade just to see if you do really need it. It only takes a quick phone call to upgrade, downgraded can be expensive in contract.

[edit] just spotted the last two posts from yourself and Patty.

For peace of mind £4 is not a lot , but wait for patty to come back.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Hi if you stay logged in I will find on the website where it says roughly what you can use for 10GB and I will then edit this post with a link. Pat

EDIT 

If you click the 10GB usage it will tell you how much you can do with the10GB

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25633agree  sorry link not working

Facebook etc that you mentioned will use more. I agree with toekneem I think if I were you I would upgrade to save looking at your usage all the time and worrying that you are going over, and I presume you will be Skyping more than me.  P

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
thank you Patty 😄
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
I understood that Toekneem, am just getting to grips with GBs and MBs. I didn't know if I could down grade if I found I didn't need the extra but I suspect that I cant.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

You could , but you would end up paying some cancellation charges.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings