cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 11 of 41

Re: To watch online requires Microsoft Silverlight! (Linux users get screwed again)

Somehow I doubt Silverlight is running on Android
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
paultnl
Contributor
Message 12 of 41

Re: To watch online requires Microsoft Silverlight! (Linux users get screwed again)

As BT's claim is "Stream the action to your PC or Mac" with no mention of requiring MS Windows on a PC in any of the advertising or order process.  I suggest we all raise complaints with the Advertising Standards Authority.

0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 41

At the end of the day, there's history:

ITV Player - started off with Silverlight, then they binned it off

Netflix - started off with Silverlight, then they binned it off

BT Sport - started off with Silverlight...

I think if we hang fire, common sense will win in the end.  As for the Android comment, of course Silverlight isn't running there but this is about the heavily promoted availability of BT Sport on a laptop which for some has ended up being disappointing due to the system requirements.  My laptop dual boots Windows and Ubuntu so the laptop version is available to me should I require it.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
paultnl
Contributor
Message 14 of 41

@notoriousdbp wrote:

I think if we hang fire, common sense will win in the end.

If you think common sense has a home at BT you must be smoking something.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 15 of 41

Given that android is merely Linux and java it shouldn't take a genius to get it working without Silverlight
--
0 Ratings
aew17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 41

The Android app is not based around Silverlight. It is proprietary software which uses a slightly different DRM, as Android actively prevents certain ways of copying film, for example live feeds, Youtube etc.

Unfortunately "hacking" the app and the architecture is against the T&Cs and potentially illegal as it is circumventing DRM.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 17 of 41

Unfortunately, hacking is what linux is all about and therefore by extension, android.
--
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 41

@legitimise_sailing wrote:
Unfortunately, hacking is what linux is all about and therefore by extension, android.

That's just completely wrong.  It may be what Linux used to be about but it really isn't anymore.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
aew17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 41

So anyone who has an Android phone or tablet is a hacker? Interesting assertion!

I have no intention of breaking the law by circumventing the DRM around BT Sport, rooting or hacking my phone, or exploring methods of breaching the T&Cs of BT Sport by getting around its restrictions.

Unfortunately, the onus is on BT to move away from Silverlight. It would not disadvantage those users of Windows, OSX or Android.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 20 of 41

@notoriousdbp wrote:

@legitimise_sailing wrote:

That's just completely wrong.  It may be what Linux used to be about but it really isn't anymore.

Oh really? When did that change, exactly?

--
0 Ratings