cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 41

Re: To watch online requires Microsoft Silverlight! (Linux users get screwed again)

@legitimise_sailing wrote:

Oh really? When did that change, exactly?

When Ubuntu came out and guys like me, and my wife and my kids started using it as our main OS.  When netbooks came out installed with Linux.  When the city of Munich went Linux, as did the BBC, Peugeot and Switzerland.  Oh and when Microsoft became a bigger contributor to the Linux Kernel than a lot of open source projects

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 22 of 41

Re: To watch online requires Microsoft Silverlight! (Linux users get screwed again)

It's still open-source, regardless of what you, your wife and kids do.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 41

It's still open-source, regardless of what you, your wife and kids do.

And more and more people are using it on a daily basis which is why the choice of Silverlight was a bad one.  Just ask ITV and Netflix.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 24 of 41

I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. This topic is about Linux. Linux is open-source and you have the right to modify it as you like. Android is Linux and you have the right to modify it as you like. BT Sport is available on Android and therefore on Linux and on this platform it doesn't require Sliverlight. That's it.
--
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 41

I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. This topic is about Linux. Linux is open-source and you have the right to modify it as you like. Android is Linux and you have the right to modify it as you like. BT Sport is available on Android and therefore on Linux and on this platform it doesn't require Sliverlight. That's it.

I see what you're saying and the points you make are true. However, the expectation is that the browser-based offering would have been platform agnostic and by using Silverlight that isn't the case.  It's disappointing, but history has shown that providers who go the Silverlight route generally don't stay there very long so I'm hopeful the situation will change in the not too distant future.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 26 of 41

Maybe SIlverlight was the only option when they started development, so hopefully they will switch to a more friendly implementation as the system matures - especially given they have already invested in separate IOS and Android implementations.

I think they had to protect some of their business investors, like pubs and bet365 etc by enforcing DRM and also perhaps introducing a delay in web transmission.

It's worth remembering that BT makes money from phones - that's where their business is still rooted.
--
0 Ratings
spinnekop
Beginner
Message 27 of 41

I would love to meet someone who can install Silverlight on my Ubuntu laptop!!

Oh well, the much anticipated BT sport is a damp squib. And as I suppose no one from BT actaully reads these forums (fori?) it will remain so for those of use who do not choose windows/apple.

Man Mad

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 28 of 41

Who?
--
0 Ratings
spinnekop
Beginner
Message 29 of 41

"It's worth remembering that BT makes money from phones - that's where their business is still rooted."

Maybe they should stick to that them....Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 30 of 41

They do. And it's fora imo
--
0 Ratings