Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Today's Cloud Update 10/01/2017

What is going on.

Turned on PC this morning and cloud popped up to say there was a new uipdate. Accepted this and installed.

NOW it seems to be backing up non stop. Previously my usage was at just over 42GB and fairly static. Now it is backing up continually and storage is now running at over 50GB amd still increasing. WHAT ARE YOU BACKING UP!!!!!

I really hope that you have not decided to backup all my files again because if you have and the way it stores old versions this will mean amount of date stored will have doubled. OK I have a limit of 500GB buty this is crazy and will have a big impact on a lot of users.

An explanation is required quickly.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 33

Re: Today's Cloud Update 10/01/2017

Hi Bill,

That sounds very odd - I didn't have the same experiance at all. If you click on the 'Transfers' tab you should be able to see the files that are transferring? Possibly the old version stalled for some reason?

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Hi Joe.

Clicked on the transfer tab as suggested and it seems that it is backing up everything again, so with the version control in place as it is my storage space used is about to double and I will effectively have 2 copies of EVERYTHING backup up.

Consequently I have had to stop all backups. Seems like I will not longer be using BT Cloud.

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 4 of 33

Hi Joe.

Further update.

Seem's it's not the versioning that has caused the problem. Seems that as a result of installing the new uipdate BT cloud has decided that my PC is a brand new PC so has created a new PC backup in the Repository with a suffix of Windows Desktop.

So the question arises how to I point the application back to my existing backup.

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 33

Hi Bill,

That's an odd one - I've now done the update on three Windows PCs and one Mac, and they've all still been identified correctly.

I did have this problem a few months ago after reinstalling BT Cloud on one of my PCs after upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 10, so I don't know if you've done anything like that recently?

In terms of fixing the problem, what I did was to just wait for the backup to complete and then delete the repo for the 'old' PC (you can do this easily from the bt cloud website). This would be my advise 🙂

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 6 of 33

Hi Joe.

Changed nothing at all recently. Upgraded to Windows 10 just before the free expiration date last July so it may be that, e.g. first major BT Cloud update since then I think, so I guess it's possible. Really annoying.

Yes, have already thought about just doing a completely new backup then deleting the old one just a real pain especially if it's likely to happens again.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 33

@billcubbon wrote:

Hi Joe.

Changed nothing at all recently. Upgraded to Windows 10 just before the free expiration date last July so it may be that, e.g. first major BT Cloud update since then I think, so I guess it's possible. Really annoying.

Yes, have already thought about just doing a completely new backup then deleting the old one just a real pain especially if it's likely to happens again.

Just finished the BT Cloud desktop update at 4-50pm today.

All remains the same except for the backup files:- i.e. those selected for backup as opposed to sync.

Sync file dates remained unchanged.

Backup files decided to go through backup procedure from beginning.

Otherwise all ok.

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 8 of 33

Hi Ribblelancs.

It was the backup fles, e.g. those selected for backup as opposed to sync that was the probl;em for me, e.g. they decided to go through a complete backup again but separately to the original backup in the repository as listed on the BT Cloud website. That new backup is still running so at the moment whereas I was initially usiing about 43GB of space I am now currently using 85GB of space on the cloud website.

When it is finally finished I will go into the BT Cloud website and delete the old backup, e.g. no point storing all the files twice.

0 Ratings
MdeB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 33

1.  You said that a new backup was created names "X desktop".

This is what happened when I was forced to upgrade at the end of the summer (but my backup settings did not transfer automatically).

Is this the first installation of the Synchronoss software you have done?

2.  Before you delete the old stuff, check that the new backup is OK.

I had probles with failure to back up some stuff at the last upgrade, even though BTCloud said it is backed up.

Comparing folder sizes should be sufficient.

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Hi MdeB.

In answer to your questions:

1. No not the first installation just an update to the BT Cloud software. Suspect it may have been down to the Windows 10 upgrade last July and this being the first update to the BT Cloud sofware since then, but who knows

2. New backup now completed and have checked it out and everything now seems to be fine e.g. all the files seem to be present and correct.

0 Ratings