cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Told I would need an engineer

My speeds have dropped massively I phoned India (30/03/2015), I did all they asked and they said I would need an engineer.

Very Strange as BT fault tracking shows the issue as being at step 1 BT retail servers.

I am not aware of any BT retail servers bieng at my home address.

It would be interesting to see what other other forum users think.

VOLxxx-xxxxxx60054

Broadband Problem

Further diagnostic tests began at the time and date shown to find the problem with your broadband. Once we know more we will contact you using your contact details above and once we have fixed your problem you will see an update on this page. Thanks for your patience

[Alt Txt]

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 22

Re: Told I would need an engineer

The normal course of events when you have a fault is to get an engineer visit from Openreach. This will allow the engineer to run some diagnostics from your house, which when analysed will determine the next step.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

I understand that may be the normal course but having an engineer could cost me in £130 if they find the fault at my home.

who is to say that the engineer wont say yes the fault is with your equipment when the fault is elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 22

So you think the fault is not at the BT Retail servers it's actually at your home?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

That is not what I said at all, BT's own website / fault tracker shows that there is a fault with Their servers at step 1

why cant they check this fault at step one if this still shows up then at step 2 and again at the cabinet step 3 before me having to book an engineer, as a side note I had a line fault in December 2014 which was repaired and my speeds were around the 60mb mark. Nothing internally has been changed.

I have been reading about issues with G.inp and ECI modems could this be the issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 22

Step 1 is at yours because that's where the connection starts. If the issue is your ECI modem, well that's at yours as well.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Thats not what BT diagnostics show

shows as being step 1 BT retail servers.

surely I am the end of the connection

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 22

As I said before, your modem connects to the BT Retail servers.

Presumably there are thousands of people connected to the BT Retail servers without a problem, so it makes sense to check your end.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Then I would suggest connecting your modem directly to the test socket then that will eliminate any internal wiring issues and you still need an engineer visit
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

If the problem was my end surely the BT fault tracker would say so

I am not trying to be awkward but read the following and you may see why I am concerened about getting an enigineer out to my property. As I have said before check the line up to the cabinet or to the edge of my property before I book an engineer.

why do the ASSUME first that the fault is on my end. 

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2723459/The-130-call-fee-BT-shouldnt-charge-you.htm...

Do enigineers give you a copy of the report i know i did not get one with the last External fault I had

0 Ratings