cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
becca_hague
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Too much

I've been having constant trouble with my BT broadband for months now, but its become increasingly worse. 

Its constantly rebooting itself, my speeds have dropped by at LEAST 2mb. I started on 4mb (and had this consistently with sky).

I can't use BT Vision and at the same time someone else use the internet on the PC, because either the BT Visions starts to stop and start, or the person uses the internet feels like they are on 56k.

Finally, over the last few days I've barely been able to connect to ANYTHING, I have to fight through with constant refreshes on websites (thats all websites even google). When they don't open, I get a timeout error (with both google chrome and IE).

I don't have my landline plugged in, so I know that, that isn't an issue.  I've changed the filters, its in the test socket, even with just MY PC plugged in I can't access websites (I had to fight through to here!) and of course, every time my router reboots itself, I get pushed further into the bandwidth limit.

I'm really at my wits end, and I'm really tired of it.  I love BT Vision, its the best TV service I've used, but I'm getting towards the point where I don't care if I have it or not, because I can only use it at certain times of the day, and then it gets interrupted because the router reboots itself!

This is my speed test:

Download Speed
1565 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 1565 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2268 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 720 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 10.49:24.52:65.0 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes. 

This is what I get, just after a self-reboot:

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 00:10:49
Downstream2,270 Kbps
Upstream720 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.9 dB / 6.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)54.0 dB / 30.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up)5.6 dBm / 1.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 1341425
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1 / 22069
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)1 / 10080
0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 2

Re: Too much

Hi Becca_hague,

Thanks for the post.

You will need at least 2MB to effectively run BT Vision.  The real problem here is not your speed, its your connection constantly dropping out.  If we can figure out why your connection is dropping and fix this, then your speed should recover by itself.

Your noise margin is not very high at all which is strange, as one of the main culprits of a dropping connection is noise interference.  The fact you are already in the test socket rules out internal issues.  It may well be that the router you are using is faulty.  On the other hand this may not be the case.

I would like to run a few checks on the network side of things, to see if anything stands out as odd.  Please drop me an email to the email address in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the address under the "about me" section). Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings