cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 1 of 68

Torrent Speeds Capped Outside Of Peak Times

I am on option 3 and for the past few days my download speed for torrents has been around 300kB/s at most when I am use to seeing around 700kB/s and at times upto 830kB/s. I recently read somewhere that BT can cap your speeds to around 300kB/s if you download too much from P2P, is this true and if so then what is the limit because I was told that my Fair use policy allowed me upto 300GB a month and I have certainly not used that much.

0 Ratings
67 REPLIES 67
seab20
Expert
Message 2 of 68

Re: Torrent Speeds Capped Outside Of Peak Times

Just to be blunt I'm going to say now that everything you have wrote is incorrect. Firstly torrents downloaded at peak times which is from 4pm-12pm weekdays and 9am-12pm weekends are limited to pretty much nothing, outside those hours there are no limits on your download speed, your upload speed can and usually is limited constantly. None of this is affected by how much you download, and there is no longer a 300gb limit it was removed in April, you now have a completely unlimited connection. If your getting 300kB/s outside of peak times its not due to BT just down to lack of seeders. Other than that can you confirm if your speed is limited only on torrents or if speed tests are also reporting a drop in speed which could be due to a line problem, run some speedtests when your having problems with torrents and also check your line stats. You can also test to see if your torrents are limited with this http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php

For more information about how BT handle torrents check this out basically just says everything I have though http://www.bt.com/broadbandusagepolicy

McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 3 of 68

I know exactly how BT handle torrents, I just think they are also doing something that I am not aware of. How else could you explain the massive drop in speeds when my regular download/upload speeds are the same as always and Utorrent is set up perfectly for my speed and connection. I have gone down pretty much every avenue to try and find the problem and all I am left with now is the thought that BT are reducing my torrent speeds, it's  really the only explanation left

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 68

Hi seab's comments are perfectly correct
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 5 of 68

Seab's comments are not entirely correct but are in essence correct.

There is capping in place but it seems to 'depend'. I don't know if this is at the bRAS level or the exchange but I tend to believe it is likely to be the exchange. (my bRAS being Edinburgh I would expect to see a more consistent capping if implemented based on demands there)

Weekdays 4pm onwards is certainly correct (4:10 in my experience) but I find that some weekdays (no pattern as such) it stops almost as soon as it starts, and every night it ends around 8-9pm.

I find that speed often are reduced to around 30kB/s for a while and then down to sub 10 values later on.

Weekends I have seen it start around 11am Saturdays and last for an hour or two but not seem much other than that and don't recally any capping on a Sunday. Weekends I find that speeds go to 60kB/s for a bit and then may drop later on.

Your exchange may be busier and so may have a more restrictive implementation.

I have never seen a throttle outwith the BT's published peak times and can't recall even noticing one that lasted for the entire period defined.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 6 of 68

That's what makes this more confusing. I know that I can really only download torrents outside of peak times and I accepted that a long time ago, I just don't know why it is going so slow even after midnight although I had noticed last night sometime after 2am my speeds had gone back up so I will see if that happens again tonight.

As for the exchange I don't think that could be the problem neither as I live in a small village called Kippen which has a population of around 1,500 and alot of them are pensioners who don't even know what the internet is plus the village has it's own exchange which is about 1/2 mile away from me at most.

My capping usually starts around 4pm weekdays until around midnight with weekends being from about 9am til

midnight

just checked a torent right now (12:33am) with a very healthy seed/peers ratio downloading at around 180kB/s

0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 7 of 68

If you run the test I provided you with in my response it will tell you if you are being capped.

In response to raymie67 the times I provided are those set by BT not those that I experience myself or something I have made up, the system is supposed to be dynamic which explains why your speed fluctuates, but the cap is still in place. If you are not capped to the times I provided then good for you but those are the times when the majority of BT lines will be capped. The system is supposed to be based on network load however and this is not really the case as infinity users like myself notice the most, the fact that torrents speeds can go from 10kB/s at 12 to 3-4MB/s at half 12 proves this. People on slower lines might not see such a noticeable difference

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 8 of 68

Here are the results of the test that I have done right now

Results for your host (host86-153-38-17.range86-153.btcentralplus.com - 86.153.38.17):

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

Details:

*Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 5949 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 1941 Kbps.

*Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 6881. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 5949 Kbps while downloads on port 36701 achieved up to 1960 Kbps.

here are the detailed test results

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 6881Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #11944 Kbps1960 Kbps
Download #21958 Kbps1943 Kbps
Download #31909 Kbps1952 Kbps

Upload #1179 Kbps265 Kbps
Upload #2344 Kbps351 Kbps
Upload #3360 Kbps366 Kbps

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 36701Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #11915 Kbps5944 Kbps
Download #21923 Kbps5539 Kbps
Download #31941 Kbps5949 Kbps

Upload #1365 Kbps362 Kbps
Upload #2360 Kbps296 Kbps
Upload #3360 Kbps362 Kbps

BitTorrent transfers using port 6881 and port 36701Transfer Direction Bandwidth Port 6881 Bandwidth Port 36701

Download #11944 Kbps1915 Kbps
Download #21958 Kbps1923 Kbps
Download #31909 Kbps1941 Kbps

Upload #1179 Kbps365 Kbps
Upload #2344 Kbps360 Kbps
Upload #3360 Kbps360 Kbps

Control flow transfers using port 6881 and port 36701Transfer Direction Bandwidth Port 6881 Bandwidth Port 36701

Download #11960 Kbps5944 Kbps
Download #21943 Kbps5539 Kbps
Download #31952 Kbps5949 Kbps

Upload #1265 Kbps362 Kbps
Upload #2351 Kbps296 Kbps
Upload #3366 Kbps362 Kbps

I'm not great at these things but that looks as if BT are limiting my bandwidth on Torrents, BT do claim that I can get around a 7-8MB connection and speedtest.net say that my download speed is 6900kb/s

0 Ratings
Highlighted
seab20
Expert
Message 9 of 68

It would appear so, but they are not supposed to be doing, perhaps their system is broken, though it would not usually be for more than a day or so, you should put in a complaint if it continues. Do you have any neighbours who are with bt, it would help if you could establish if it is just your line or all of your street, etc.

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 10 of 68

Well this has been going on for just over a week now so I think I will put in a complaint right away and but I don't think any of my neighbours have BT broadband, the whole street is filled with pensioners and the only other wireless I have noticed on my computer is a SKY Broadband which I think is the connect version. This is the first time I have had this from BT so I'm kind of surprised that this is their fault and I do hope it's just a simple error on their part and not something else

0 Ratings