cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raymie67
Expert
Message 51 of 68

Re: Torrent Speeds Capped Outside Of Peak Times

vodoo.net has free stuff for a start, no capping outwith normal hours that I can see (although my speed is only a meg to start with)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 52 of 68

raymie67- All I get is  directed to to this link, and all there is a decapitated head! Have I upset you!

http://www.voodoo.net/

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 53 of 68

You went on the wrong site... Its http://vodoo.net/ apparently, though it has now been replaced with a holding site, must have been a great site...

I suspect you would be better looking on http://vodo.net/ for free releases

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 54 of 68

sorry, I remembered the name as voodoo not vodo, http://vodo.net/ is indeed the site I was meaning

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 55 of 68

Firstly thank you to asll of you for helping, please let me know if you managed to get a"legal" torrent running and what speeds you saw from it.

As for the exchange, I was beginning to think that the exchange could be a problem and raymie67 could definitely be onto something. I am in a small village which has atleast another 4 small villages nearby and I believe they all have their own exchange and I know the one nearerst me which is called Gargunnock achieves similar speeds to mine so it is possible that they are all sharing the same path as mine.

I don't know if this helps anyone but if you go to samknows and search for the Kippen exchange then you would be able to see the details of my exchange. I'm looking at it right now and I've never seen so many "red crosses" and "not available" on one page lol it also says that BT wholesale is the sole provider of broadband services

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 56 of 68

I have tried some speed checks today and overnight, 1000kbs profile and torrent rates showing in range 100KBs to 125KBs which is about what I would expect as a reasonable max.

As for the exhange, not available indicators are common on wee exchanges, mine is adslmax only so has lots of unavailable items.

While capping due to conjection on any local fibre loop is always a possibility I would still think that the most likely issue is a fault or misconfiguration in whatever device it is that throttles torrents in the first place, occams razor basically, we know for a fact that there is a device that will throttle connections at certain times, we know that people see that effect during these times and we know that you are seeing the effect all the time therefore it sees reasonable to suspect that the device in your case is not working properly or not set correctly.

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 57 of 68

That is about the right speeds for you. My profile is around 7000kbs and my exchange is adslmax only aswell, We kind of get the bd end of he deal as we don't really have many options in terms of ISPs, it seems to either be BT or nothing.

I have told Stephanie on here about the exchange and how that could be a problem so I will need to wait and see what she says but atleast she has actually tried to help me unlike that Steven Gallon who came across as an idiot who didn't want to admit that there could actually be a problem

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 58 of 68

exchange or RAS or whatever it is that controls and applies the throttle. I suspect it is in the exchange since I see variations in the time and amount of throttle that does not match other peoples but I could be wrong on that (my throttle seems less restrictive ie 4pm to 9pm max on weekdays often not even that long).

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 59 of 68

Peak time for me usually started at 4pm for me and then after midnight the speeds would start to rise and be back to full at 1am but that has now been 2 weeks since this started so how can BT possibly deny that there could be a problem with the exchange? The main issue is that it's hard to tell because all the villages in this area are full of pensioners and families with young children so there is unlikely to be many people who have even heard of torrents or know that anything like that exists.

I know it will be hard to get BT to check the exchange just because one person claims to have a problem but really it should be BT's job to make sure all of the exchanges are working perfectly. I'm sure they could afford it with all the money they make from their customers

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 60 of 68

if my inference on what is wrong is correct then it is probably BT Wholesale that needs to do the checking and it will initially be done remotely. A ten minute job to get donem a days job for BT Retail toget Wholesale to do it and a months task for you to get Retail to get Wholesale to do it 😛

0 Ratings