cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 11 of 68

Re: Torrent Speeds Capped Outside Of Peak Times

I sent BT the details of the test I carried out and told them they cannot rate limit my BitTorrent and that I wanted the problem sorted straight-away. I got an email from them a few days ago saying that they had received the email and that they would get in touch with me but I haven't heard anything from them since so I have no sent them another complaint to tell them that if this problem is not sorted withing the next few days then I will be contacting Ofcom and I shall be cancelling my contract, my contact only has another 3 months on it so I will be refusing to pay any cancellation fees

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 68

Hi 

Firstly torrents downloaded at peak times which is from 4pm-12pm weekdays and 9am-12pm weekends are limited to pretty much nothing, outside those hours there are no limits on your download speed, your upload speed can and usually is limited constantly.

None of this is affected by how much you download, and there is no longer a 300gb limit it was removed in April, you now have a completely unlimited   All P2P  services are treat the same like wise most isps  treat P2P in the same way

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 13 of 68

Thanks but you haven't said anything that hasn't already been said on this thread. I already knew about peak times and all that stuff but it's outside of those peak times (between 12am-4pm) that I am talking about, I have done all of the tests required and they comfirmed that BT have a rate limit on my BitTorrent download speed and that is outside of peak times and as far as I am aware this is not something that BT are allowed to do, atleast not without a good reason which I can't see there being one

0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 14 of 68

@john46 wrote:

Hi 

Firstly torrents downloaded at peak times which is from 4pm-12pm weekdays and 9am-12pm weekends are limited to pretty much nothing, outside those hours there are no limits on your download speed, your upload speed can and usually is limited constantly.

None of this is affected by how much you download, and there is no longer a 300gb limit it was removed in April, you now have a completely unlimited   All P2P  services are treat the same like wise most isps  treat P2P in the same way

John... Would help if you read the thread, this was my first response, but it turns out he is being limited outside of these times.

Infact you have copied and pasted my response as it even includes the same minor grammatical errors and you missed a word off the end

Firstly torrents downloaded at peak times which is from 4pm-12pm weekdays and 9am-12pm weekends are limited to pretty much nothing, outside those hours there are no limits on your download speed, your upload speed can and usually is limited constantly. None of this is affected by how much you download, and there is no longer a 300gb limit it was removed in April, you now have a completely unlimited connection.

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 15 of 68

The thing I wanna know is if there is any reason for why they would want to limit me outside of peak times, there are no problems with my connection and I'm in a small village with it's own exchange so I can't see it being caused by too many people online especially after midnight which is when I do most of my downloading. What confuses me even more is that I do get the odd random times when I get max speeds so they can't have a rate limit on me 24/7?

0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 16 of 68

I suspect there is an error somewhere, but they will be reluctant to fix it as they don't particularly care for torrents anyway. They wouldnt do it purposely as there is no need, the network can easily handle it off peak, and would probably have no problem in peak times, but they choose to not let you, they don't need to

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 68

i agree.  there are not any other posts on the forum just now about this problem which suggests that this specific to you.  you can try the mods and see if they can help or at least confirm there is a problem http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 18 of 68

I have tried contacting them a couple of times now through their "contact us" pages, each time I got the confirmation email to say they receieve my email and that they would reply soon but either they don't know what is wrong or they are ignoring me as it has been around 4 days since I got in touch and they don't usually take that long.

I'm seriously considering switching providers but my options aren't great due to where I am. The only providers which are available to me are BT, Orange, BE and Plus broadband. There is also Sky Broadband Connect which I have tried and hated. You couldn't even get an internet connection during the day and you were lucky to see one of around 2MB after midnight which aint great considering my line gets upto 8MB

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 19 of 68

Hi McNavdo20,

I had a look in the queue there for you but I can't see an email from you, can you PM me your email reference and I'll dig the email out?

Stephanie
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 20 of 68

I still haven't had a reply yet so it's been 5 days since the original email was sent. You would think the least they could do is email me and tell me if they know what the problem is but I have heard nothing which makes them look rather ignorant towards their customers especially when you are paying them nearly £50 a month just for broadband and calls, maybe Stephanie will get in touch with me later and tell me if she was able to find the email I sent

0 Ratings