cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raymie67
Expert
Message 21 of 68

Re: Torrent Speeds Capped Outside Of Peak Times

If you torrents and ONLY your torrents are being throttled outside peak times then perhaps the way to start is to ask about WHAT it is that throttles them within peak hours.

If you can identify how that is done then it seems likely that this on your RAS or exchange is setup incorrectly or is faulty, that may be a easier way to start perhaps?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 22 of 68

I asked a neighbour the other day if there torrent speeds were down at all and they said no so I think it is just me. At this moment I am seeing the faster speeds after 1am where they can reach upto 800kB/s but are usually around 300kB/s however during the day between 9am and 4pm I am only seeing speeds of around 10kB/s and once peak times come into effect the speed will go up to around 50kB/s max which makes things even more confusing. If it turns out that this is BT's fault and not a problem with the exchange then I think It would be best for me to ask for my MAC code and find a better and more stable provider

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 23 of 68

I just did another test to see if my download speeds have a rate limit and I actually think my speeds are getting worse.

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

Details:

*Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 6047 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 154 Kbps.

*Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 6881. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 6047 Kbps while downloads on port 34165 achieved up to 155 Kbps.

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 6881Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #1155 Kbps152 Kbps
Download #2154 Kbps151 Kbps
Download #3156 Kbps155 Kbps

Upload #1370 Kbps246 Kbps
Upload #2370 Kbps362 Kbps
Upload #3372 Kbps369 Kbps

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 34165Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #1153 Kbps5603 Kbps
Download #2153 Kbps5833 Kbps
Download #3154 Kbps6047 Kbps

Upload #1372 Kbps373 Kbps
Upload #2372 Kbps373 Kbps
Upload #3371 Kbps372 Kbps

BitTorrent transfers using port 6881 and port 34165Transfer Direction Bandwidth Port 6881 Bandwidth Port 34165

Download #1155 Kbps153 Kbps
Download #2154 Kbps153 Kbps
Download #3156 Kbps154 Kbps

Upload #1370 Kbps372 Kbps
Upload #2370 Kbps372 Kbps
Upload #3372 Kbps371 Kbps

Control flow transfers using port 6881 and port 34165Transfer Direction Bandwidth Port 6881 Bandwidth Port 34165

Download #1152 Kbps5603 Kbps
Download #2151 Kbps5833 Kbps
Download #3155 Kbps6047 Kbps

Upload #1246 Kbps373 Kbps
Upload #2362 Kbps373 Kbps
Upload #3369 Kbps372 Kbps

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 24 of 68

so surely the first thing to try is to stop using port 6881, most client software suggests that anyway I believe since other nodes may block it independent of your ISP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 25 of 68

I don't even use that port. the test just uses that port randomly, I always have my my BitTorrent client running on a port between 50,000-60,000 as those are the best.

I really just wanna leave BT as they are taking the **bleep** now, I still haven't heard anything and the speeds are just getting worse. The only problem is that BT are the only real provider in my area for unlimited broadband unless I wanted to go with Orange but I have a feeling that they would be no different to BT

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 68

Hi,

If you are thinking of cancelling, the term charges can be quite high.

You say that BT are the only real provider in your area for unlimited broadband, but what about that famous satellite media company which the Murdochs own.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 27 of 68

I know the charges can be high, luckily my contract runs out in October so I think it would be around £40 going by a guide that I saw online about it.

as for that "famous satellite media company which the Murdochs own", I do already have SKY tv but sadly even they don't provide broadband in my area unless it's the connect verson which I have tried and it makes BT look perfect, only got a connection for a few hours each day and even then they could only provide me 1/4 of my 8MB connection

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 68

@McNavdo20 wrote:

I do already have SKY tv but sadly even they don't provide broadband in my area unless it's the connect verson which I have tried and it makes BT look perfect, only got a connection for a few hours each day and even then they could only provide me 1/4 of my 8MB connection

Now that does have to be bad        to make BT look perfect

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 29 of 68

It was bad.....really bad

I'm pretty sure that Sky Broadband Connect was run by BT at the exchange which might explain why it was so bad. I'm pretty sure it's only BT who are present at the exchange. The problem is the exchange only supplies around 650 homes so what companies are going to benefit from making themselves available here? Although if it's only supplying that many then is there really any need for BT to slow me down even at peak times? The exchange can't be under that much pressure

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 68

hi if your email has got to the queue then certainly Stephanie will get back to you
0 Ratings