Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 68

Re: Torrent Speeds Capped Outside Of Peak Times

totally agree with the last poster doubt if many are up least of all watching there download speeds
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 43 of 68

Why be concerned about raising the issue? Torrents are used for alot more than just downloading illegal material but then again that's what's wrong with the UK, the majority of us are too easily pushed around and told to accept things because we aren't willing to say something, that is how things just continue to get worse

Also why do people just assume this is only happening at night? It's during the day aswell and you would know that if you actually read the posts in here, but you have raised an important issue here. Why are my download speeds down during the night? Like you say said, most people will be asleep anyway and I'm the majority of people with Broadband don't leave their computers on at night so they can download stuff so that means there is no reason to limit anyones speeds at night, but they are.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 68

a simple answer for day time capping people are at work and do not see it same as night time really what you do not see you do not complain about basically you can be capped at any time if network demand needs it
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 45 of 68

I can see what you're saying, I've only even noticed the capping because I'm not studying right now but in this country the majority of people are in bed after midnight so where is the need to cap speeds at those times if the demand is at it's lowest? If things have gotten this bad then we should be looking for cap regular downloads aswell as P2P, I just can't see the demand being as high as BT are claiming, perhaps it is all just a con for BT to make a bit of extra money by using less resources whilst charging the same price? lol

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 46 of 68

The fact is  that torrents are the favoured method of distributing copyrighted material for free, I doubt anyone can say otherwise, I do not think you can blame BT or TT for that matter, as they are very much against the proposal of government policing the Internet etc. If this also means  protecting us customers as a whole by restricting parts for the benefit of all than I have to agree too.

However you also have to accept the huge lobbying from the RIAA and MPAA, who at this very moment are forcing a change in European and UK law without public scrutiny which will result in not so free Internet and far more serious consequences for the guilty.  Somewhere here someone will mention Sky "truly unlimited", I have had my doubts over this term  mainly because  sky perhaps would suffer the most of all ISPs due to the distribution of copyrighted material for free against TV services they offer, indeed their most talked about shareholder is a ardent supporter of RIAA and MPAA and you are supposed to use the router supplied by them if not you are breaking the T &Cs. ( I'm very paranoid over Murdochs, I have history for it)

It is true that this format started out with very good intentions however it is much maligned these days, unfortunately.

I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
McNavdo20
Contributor
Message 47 of 68

I see where you're coming from and there is no way that anyone can deny that torrents are mostly used for illegally downloading copyrighted material. I for one believe that downloading copyrighted material should only ever be done if you already own  the material you are downloading and it is only going to be used for personal use and as a backup to the original and I know some people will agree or disagree with me. I also know that the Murdochs are best avoided and have too much power when it comes to the media, tv, broadband etc.

It's kind of a hard subject to talk about because in a way policing the internet is great if it is used to catch the real criminals but it does bring up many issues regarding how much freedom and privacy we should have. "Big brother is watching you" is becoming more true each day

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 48 of 68

I do not believe that you are being restricted to preserve the entire BT network, that idea does not fly since noone else is reporting the same level of capping and by now there would be posts on the forum and elsewhere if it was happening.

The fact that you are on a small exchange is probably also not relevent but I could be wrong there. My exchange is the same size as yours and I see no capping at all (outwith the normal times) however I know that my exchange does not have a direct fibre connection to the BT backbone but is instead part of a fibre ring round many local exchanges which will eventually have a connection somewhere (meaning that many exchanges are sharing the one path). I suspect that for small rural exchanges this may be common (last boost engineer confirmed this was the setup at my exchange).

It sounds to me that your last reply from BT was the typical brush off that the tend to give when anything about these types of issue are raised. For example I have a long ongoing issue with my line being affected by weather, in the past the download liimit was 100Gb, if I has exceeded this the previous month then when I complained about my connection being lost and coming back at 135 profile I used to get similar unhelpful replies, the issue was nohing to do with the capping of the line (which was meant to be to 1mbs which is my normal speed anyway) but as soon as anyone is BT saw that my line was restricted to 1mbs due to the previous months download all investigations stopped there with a very similar type of reply.

I suspect that the rate restriction is being implemented by something at the exchange (perhaps the RAMBO device) and that it is faulty on your line, given that the one my line is controlled by seems to constantly be sticking profile wise now this seems a likely and viable possibility but good luck on getting BT to investigate it based on that last reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 68

Hi again you would be surprised the large number that do download during the night there were many posts on here at one time about speed capping when the 300 gb cap was on option 3 when there speeds were reduced by calculation of there down load speed and the amount of data transferred there we no other option to them downloading 24/7 there were some posting here complaint they had bee n cappedandhad used 500gb to1tb per month ok not all p2 p bbut still the same very unreasonable usage.

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 50 of 68

Mcnavdo-

I suppose a test from us users would be a start, I'm willing to try  a legitimate torrent to test for you.

However as far I'm aware, even downloading something you already own is infringement, even in the days of the tape player in the car and your favourite songs you owned at home on record, then put on a compilation for the long car journeys was infringement of copyright! Many did as I.

I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings