cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Totally bizarre problem with evening internet speed slumps and wifi/hard wired channel change cures

Hello all.

I am on faster broadband (infinity at a long distance from cab) and live about 1.5 miles away from the cab and get speeds of of 9.5 mb consistently for the last 2 years.

I have the white open reach 3b echolife hg612modem and usually use a netgaer WNDR4500 router, although i have the exact same issues with using any of my 3 different BT homehub 3. type A routers.

For the solving of this issue you can assume that i am connected to the home hub 3 type A router.
I have a very odd problem, in the evening anytime after say 7pm my internet will drop from 9mb to about .02 mb?

However changing the router wifi channel via the homehub http log in instantly cures the problem for about 2-10 mins-(Instantly) then the same problem repeats.Moreover, as long as i change the wifi channel the broadband speed instantly recovers to 9mb every single time, no matter what channel i use.

Right here is the bit i can’t work out, it does the same thing to hard wired devices with no wifi? I can be on my hard wired pc and the broadband will slump to .02 mb and then via that pc i will log into the router change channel and hey presto its back to normal for a few minutes.How on earth can changing a wifi channel affect a hard wired conected device??

Save the proble being on hard wired devices , on the surface it would seem like a wifi issue related, i thought channel noise at first, but it also takes down hard wired from the homehub to pc devices as wellso maybe not wifi?

It makes no sense whatsoever, it does this every evening now, usually goes back to normal at about 11pm, and never in the daytime?

I have changed routers and really am at a loss to what is going on? I ran a wifi scan and no interference is seen.

Logic would suggest that if changing channels momentary cures it, then it can not be a problem with the internet coming into the actual modem (the line), it must be something after that. However i can not have 4 faulty homehubs and the fact that it takes down none wifi devises as well as wifi connected ones makes the problem hard to solve.
Could the white echolife hg612 white modem be capable of doing this?
Has anyone come across this before where simply changing channel instantly solves the slowdown in speed but alas only for a few minutes?.
Many thanks
skiff

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Message 2 of 9

Re: Totally bizarre problem with evening internet speed slumps and wifi/hard wired channel change cu

@skiffguard sorry about the delay getting back to you. That's a strange issue as I would have been going down the wireless interference route until you've mentioned that it's also affecting your hard wired connections also.  

I haven't seen this before but we will be happy to look into this further if you use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: Totally bizarre problem with evening internet speed slumps and wifi/hard wired channel change cu

Hello Buddy,

Thank you for your message, BT have sent me a HH5, that as you know will cut the white echolife modem from the equation, so i will see if that cures it.  If not then i really have no idea what the problem is !!

I wlyk.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

you could connect direct to modem and see if that helps - and eliminates the hub as the problem  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Poor-upload-speed-literally-halved-from-whe...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 9

@skiffguard wrote:

Hello Buddy,

Thank you for your message, BT have sent me a HH5, that as you know will cut the white echolife modem from the equation, so i will see if that cures it.  If not then i really have no idea what the problem is !!

I wlyk.

Many thanks

Hey @skiffguard,

Thanks for letting us know.  Very strange issue indeed.  If the new Hub 5 doesn't sort the issue then I would urge you to follow Neils advise and get an email sent off to us.  Due to the nature of this issue, in that it doesn't make much sense Smiley Surprised it would help to have this problem case handled by one person and that is something we will do Smiley Wink

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Hello Jolly 100% sure that we are not dealing with a hub issue per se for the reasons below, as i had 3 hh3 and one netgear 4500.The same internet drop occurred on them all.

1, Hardwired from hub pc get taken down from 9mb t0 0.02 mb and by logging into the hub http page and simply changing wifi channels it shoots back to 9 mb immediately. This is the strange part, what would seem non related, as in a hub hard wired device  pc  speed drop problem being cured (For a few mins) by the changing of a wifi channel?

2, If it was the echo life Modem causing this, why would it only be faulty in a evening? That makes no sense but nothing about this problem does.

That is what logically left me thinking an apple product we have is crashing the hub/modem and by me changing channels it restores it, as momentary the pressure from that wifi device is taken of the hub/modem.

I know from experience apple products can cause issues when logged on in numbers with routers.

We have 2 iphones 3 ipads and 2 apple tv's and an imac, the kids use them in the evening but obviously not past say 9pm and usually the problem carries on till about 11pm.

I live on a farm, the nearest wifi signal is from the neighbor and is only picked up from the third floor of my home with my imac so no interference there A scan of wifi using android wifi analyzer shows no interference when i run it.

I have had the hh5 running 3 hours and so far no issues will see what happens this evening.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Hello Sean,

Many thanks for the message, i did look to Neils advice and give my details to a mod , however when i hit his name i am not seeing the contact mod link in his profile?

Many thanks

Skiff

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 8 of 9

Hey @skiffguard,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I've just seen your message.

Can you please click on my username, you should find the contact link under the 'About me' section in my profile.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Right update.

After 4 days using the new HH5 the problem seems to have gone.So it must have been the white echo life modem that indeed was faulty as i suspected,as that is the only thing i did/could not change in the equation before receiving the HH5.

. I have even turned the wireless mode off on the new HH5 and connected it to by same netgear 4500 (Enabling AP mode) that i had the problems with, and and still no issues , rock solid at 9.3.

I get the odd drop to 4-5 once or twice a day , but i think that is down to me being so far away from the cab.Its nothing like the 5 hours of loss to .02mb before the HH5 replaced the echo life box.

It appears ,somehow the white echo-life box can knock out your internet out, but changing wifi channel momentary resurrects it. Very troublesome because obviously this gives the illusion that it's wifi related (HUB) and it most certainly was not.

I really have no explanation why it did this only in the evening save the increase in traffic and use, i still suspect apple products have something to do with this, as like i have said before i have seen multiple Apple products using one connection kill modem's before.

regards

Skiff

0 Ratings