Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 28

Tracking and privacy

Go to solution

Could we have a post please detailing exactly what sort of tracking is done via these forum pages, both relating to the community.bt.com domain and also relating to any of the apps that are part of using the forum. Its good to get these things clear at the beginning in an atmosphere of transparency.

Cookies

Other types of cookies- flash LSOs etc (any sort of tracking file that might be saved on my computer after using this forum)

Other behavioural tracking, including use of web beacons.

What tracking are BT doing themselves on these forums and by what methods?
Are any parties other than BT doing any tracking of users who are using these forums?
What parties other than BT themselves have access to any data arising from our use of these forums please?

So far, I can see that there is evidence of Omniture tracking (picked up with Ghostery), so if we could start with that please.. - its all good practice for when advance notification and consent of this stuff becomes compulsory not very far ahead.

Many thanks.

Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
Tags (2)
27 REPLIES 27
Teemo
Beginner
Message 2 of 28

Re: Tracking and privacy

Go to solution

Also worth pointing out users might want to sort out their privacy settings - the default is Profile available for all to view.

Click My Settings (under Search Box), Click the Preferences Tab then the Privacy Link.

Alter as you see fit.

Tags (1)
Community Manager - Retired
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

Hi Dorset_Vinney

Thanks for your questions.

Here is a link to our privacy policy.  It can also be found at the bottom of every page in the community.

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

Kerry, I'm not a technical whizz, but I've learnt a bit about how we must be ultra cautious about the increasingly sneaky ways our private browsing and all internet activity can be spied on. And that it's not just cookies these days - what about scripts and Etags? Not sure how they work, but I think we need to know.

So am I wrong in thinking that the BT privacy policy is a bit out of date as it just mentions cookies?

Pash

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

Community Manager - Retired
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution

Hi Pash

Thanks for the feedback about the privacy policy, I'll pass it on.

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks Kerry. I read and archived the privacy policy before posting, hence the extra questions asked on the forum - the privacy policy leaves a lot of things unanswered. On the forum Omniture tracking for example, how would that tie in with the DPA Section 11 notice that BT have on file from me?

And are there any other forms of tracking I haven't spotted - LSOs etc.

Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks for passing that on Kerry. Will you let us know what their response is please?

However, if they are anything like certain other BT sections though, this could be a long wait! Can you tell me who to write to about this please? I'd like to address them personally, and lend weight to your input.

Pash

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=SPEECH/10/16&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&...

contains some unavoidable pointers for the future. BT and all other organisations involved in tracking, will need to consider this carefully. Omniture are attempting to track me as I write this, and not only have I not been asked for my prior informed consent, I have already actively withdrawn my consent in my DPA Section 11 letter to BT - but still the tracking is continuing.

Cmmr Reding's speech linked above includes the following:

It is my firm belief that we cannot expect citizens to trust Europe if we are not serious in defending the right to privacy . We need to ensure that personal data are protected against any unauthorised use and that citizens have the right to decide on the way their data are processed. Privacy and the protection of personal data have always been high on my list of priorities as the Commissioner for the Information Society.

and

My third example is behavioural advertising . Monitoring internet users' web browsing to better target them with advertisements gives rise to privacy concerns. Users are not always aware that they are being tracked whenever browsing the Internet. We have launched an infringement procedure in the so-called Phorm case, alerted by worried citizens of the UK. For me it is clear that without the prior informed consent of citizens their data cannot be used .

So - with SPECIFIC on topic, relevant reference to Community Care tracking with Omniture, happening here on these forums, may I respectfully ask how do BT propose to seek user prior informed consent about tracking on these forums, using Omniture or equivalent tracking?

At some point this Omniture tracking without prior informed consent may become an illegal activity. Then it will presumably not be possible to discuss it here because of the Terms and Conditions of the forum, so it would be good to discuss it now in a transparent open fashion.

Many thanks. (still missing the cursor...)

Tags (3)
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

Hi Dorset,

Thanks for the questions. We revise the privacy policy from time to time and I've passed your comments on.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

Wow, that's a fantastic speech from Ms Reding! I feel very comforted that there are some politicians who value basic human rights more than the greed of big business.

Pash

-- -.-- / ... .. --.