Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 28

Re: Tracking and privacy

Go to solution

@DV

Thanks for the info.

It all makes sense now (I think). SWMBO was looking on one of the leading supermarket chains websites yesterday and when finished closed the window down. I then went to my BTYahoo e-mail page (you know the one, where you can't block ads), refreshed it and by chance the little advertisment window had changed the same leading supermarket. This must of been a pure coincidence. Isn't it?

Anyway "every little helps".

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 28

Go to solution

Just noticed that NoScript, the Firefox privacy add-on I use along with Ghostery and RequestPolicy, is no longer displaying the bt.com script warning called "undefined".

Has BT already made a change to the scripts/tracking software that runs in the background here?

If not, can someone explain why this has disappeared please?

Pash

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 28

Go to solution

I'm not sure how all this tracking and privacy stuff works

However clicking on my own id gives me this

Public Statistics
Email(*) I've removed
Date Registered
Date Last Visited
Total Messages Posted*
Total Ratings Received*
Statistics
Total Page Views*
Total Messages Read*
Total Topics Started*
Total Replies*
Blog Comments Posted0
Total Solutions Marked Accepted*
Total Solutions Authored*
Total Kudos Given*
Total Board Views*
Total Logins*
Total Minutes Online*
IP Address of Last Visit**.***.***.***
Browser used for Last VisitMozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/****** Firefox/3.5.7
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 28

Go to solution

Yeh, I find it all very complicated, but I hope this thread will teach me something.

The Omniture script I'm blocking with Ghostery has this to say:

1. WARNING: Changing any of the below variables will cause drastic
  2. changes to how your visitor data is collected.  Changes should only be
  3. made when instructed to do so by your account manager.

I'd better not quote any code because that could be copyright violation, but it also has these lines:

Send data as the JS file is loaded page code does not call s_dc

and

TOUCH CLARITY INTEGRATION add callback function to touchclarity.js observer list when a serve has been completed, the callback function will be notified

It looks like a script to me, and it makes me feel very uncomfortable that data might be sent to third parties using software techniques that aren't covered in the Privacy policy, not being cookies.

Pash

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 15 of 28

Go to solution

Hi All,

I know that this is a topic that you are all interested in. We have provided you with privacy policy and this is what is available at this time. We will pass your comments on, but we would like to remind you that this community is here for general help, advice, and technical support.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 28

Go to solution

@DS wrote:

@DV

Thanks for the info.

It all makes sense now (I think). SWMBO was looking on one of the leading supermarket chains websites yesterday and when finished closed the window down. I then went to my BTYahoo e-mail page (you know the one, where you can't block ads), refreshed it and by chance the little advertisment window had changed the same leading supermarket. This must of been a pure coincidence. Isn't it?

Anyway "every little helps".

Interesting this - especially as the ads in mail have become very intrusive recently.  I just tried an experiment and used my antivirus programme to block everything from http://uk.ard.yahoo.com*

It works Smiley Happy

At least until I open another email and then the ad comes back.  Smiley Mad

Now isn't an unwanted bit of code that infiltrates its way onto your computer and does things you don't want called a virus?

If you happen to try repeating this, post again if anything odd happens over the next 30 minutes!  Tried it twice now and the same odd thing happened on both occasions

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 28

Go to solution

odd indeed!

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 28

Go to solution

Did something odd happen to you as well?  Smiley Surprised

Give me a clue.

If it's the same thing that happened twice here, its time for a word with Dorset Vinney!

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 28

Go to solution

erm. no. see other means!

I'm doing something wrong. I'll keep trying!

Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 28

Go to solution

I note you have a problem with intrusive ads while viewing webmail. I am pleased to be able to say that peer to peer support solutions are available for this problem and I think I can solve your issue and answer your questions as we swap tips on ad control.

I get no ads on webmail at the moment (are we talking about the right hand column of the webmail page?)

I have an MVPS HOSTS file, and I run Firefox 3.6 with addons - ADBlockPlus, RequestPolicy, Ghostery (experimental beta version trying to solve some firefox shutdown problems) set to block all tracking scripts on its list, and NoScript (. For search engine obfuscation I am using TMN firefox addon (which sends out random search requests to make search engine tracking logs useless).

I have NO google or yahoo toolbars. Absolutely forbidden on computers in our home.

I see no ads at all either at webmail login or when using it to read or send mails.

I have NoScript in webmail set to not allow any scripts to run on the mail page.

RequestPolicy is set to not allow any requests from yahoo.com, but yimg.com is set as an allowed destination (that makes sure the button images on webmail don't disappear)

ghostery is set to block all tracking on its lists - on the webmail page it does not appear to be blocking anything so it doesn't look as if there is any tracking there that ghostery knows about.

I have no specific BTYahoo! additions to my HOSTS file

AdBlockPlus is running with default settings, and enabled - it says it is blocking 2 out of 39 items on the webmail page.

I'm running Netalyzr every now and again (in an admin account, with my HOSTS file disabled) and I'm pleased to say it gives BT a clean bill of health at the moment.

If I want to know what my browser might be doing behind my back, I run the java console, and also switch on Dephormation firefox addon which has a logging facility and records browser requests etc. for evidential purposes.

In Firefox I have my settings to allow javascript (because NoScript looks after most issues).

It is set by default NOT to allow cookies, and then I make individual exceptions for sites that need it - if possible only allowing session cookies but allowing persiistent cookies if I trust the site and can't get by without. Firefox remembers usernames and passwords but I tend not to allow login cookies unless I REALLY trust the site operator.

That seems to keep most ads and most scripts and website nasties at bay but I have no illusions that it prevents tracking. I did a "how unique is your browser" test today and got told it was unique to level of one in 181,000 or something - I imagine because I had just downloaded a beta firefox addon, and there were very few other people testing it.

Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried