Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
an_online_gamer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Traffic Management Issue For Online Gaming

Hello all..

I have had BT infinity for about 2 months now and at 1st it seemed very good and i was very happy, then i started to notice when i was playing online with my ps3 actually playing Call Of Duty (Black Ops), that because of my quick Internet speed the game would make me host.. This isn't normally a bad thing but as soon as the game would start it would be almost unplayable with a few seconds with major lag for me which developed into another pointless game.. This would happen EVERY time in every game which has got extremely frustrating.. 

On Monday night i cued up like millions of others to buy Modern Warfare 3 on the ps3 thinking my slowed down internet speed wouldn't happen for a game made by a different company but the problem is exactly the same... always makes me host but the game is then unplayable because of getting slowed down,this would happen in every game.. !!!

i then thought this must be a Playstation 3 fault and went out to buy an Xbox 360 and another copy of Modern Warfare 3 because i love playing Call Of Duty ... guess what .. the same problem... always host but unplayable due to getting slowed down in every game... i have been paying online games for years and have never come across this fault with any other ISP untill i got BT INFINITY....

i have fully read the threads regarding everything from usage allowance ( doesn't apply to me on option 2 of bt infinity ) to traffic management in which your through put speed gets slowed down if your a heavy user.. i prob play on my games consoles about 3-4 times a week sometimes upto 12 hours a day depending what work mates are online etc.. the games consoles use a P2P (peer-to-peer) network i have been told to play online with in the fact we host our own games depending who has the fastest connection speed.. this is a nightmare if your connection is being slowed down once you are the host of a game being played making it unplayable...

i have a line speed of 36mbps download and 7mbps upload

i have a ping test of 33ms

both of the above were tested on the www.speedtest.net

im not sure how much bandwidth im using playing Call Of Duty on my XBOX or PS3 but the whole reason of me getting BT Infinity was to be able to play online with a very good connection aswell as my G/F working upstairs on a live server from home.. the actual speed of my broadband isn't the problem but the through put speed and the fact im being slowed down everytime i put my games consoles on.. is there anyway around this issue apart from going to Virgin who i have found out don't suffer fro these issues ???

Any help would be much appreciated thank you..

Kind Regards

Scott

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
BluSkydive
Message 2 of 17

Re: Traffic Management Issue For Online Gaming

I have exactly the same problem with Xbox 360. I too bought MW3 a couple of days ago and I too always become host of a game and when the game starts, lagging occurs and people drop out of the game due to connection problems. That is of course if I can even get into a game as sometimes it just tells me Server disconnected... This never happened to me with BT Broadband unlimited and only when I got infinity. I presumed it may due to the DLM stablising my new line as I only had Inifinity installed 2 days ago.

When playing with a few friends online, they said they had the same problem with their high speed internet in Ireland and they put it down to the speed and instability of the fibre optic system, I found this hard to believe but there may be some truth to it as you state you have had your Infinity up and running for 2 months now. I really hope someone has a solution to this as my friends suggested I ask BT to throttle my connection which seems absolutely pointless as I may have just stayed with my normal DSL line.

Infinity is promoted as being great for online gaming but so far, I've not been able to play one decent game without lag or server connection issues.

Please let me know if anyone knows the reason for this or how to solve it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
an_online_gamer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

isnt it a pain, i have also tried playing Resistance 3,Fifa,unchanted 3 on the PS3 and Battle Field 3 on my XBOX but still the same issues.. makes me host due to having a fast internet speed but then i cant shoot anyone..lag like **bleep** and getting shot with which seems like 2 bullets etc.. even in the kill cams i havent run around a corner in Call Of Duty but watching the kill cams the enemy have been sizing me up for ages having already run around a corner... this only happens when i host in EVERY game mentioned.. if i join games this issue isnt so bad in most games but then in next game of what ever game i have loaded im then the host and its unplayable again...

like i said the connection speed makes you host in every console game you will have loaded but the traffic management seems to be slowing me down all the time.. i cant think of it being anything else due to having an extremely quick line in 37mbps/7mbps roughly... my ping will range from 12ms to 35ms depending what test i do on speedtest.net..

im on option 2 for bt infinity which is unlimited so what else can it be ?

i have also asked some of my friends who are on virgin media to test there internet lines and they test out very simular to mine in the speedtest.net but in actual gameplay there super quick and i cant get nowhere near them.. even had 1 come round to mine to play/test and he cant work it out either ? the tests show super quick but the gameplay is almost unplayable and pointless...HELP

Kind Regards

Scott

0 Ratings
bbcol
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

This sounds like an issue with the game!  Not your infinity.  Its basically routing way too much traffic through you than your connection can actually handle.  Thats a game bug.

I dont have MW3, but i did have black ops pc which i tried after infiinity and it didn't have a problem, but i have no idea if i was host (37mbs down).

0 Ratings
an_online_gamer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

in every game i play on PS3 or Xbox... ?

doesnt happen to friends on different ISP's mate ?

i thought it was the game at 1st, once i tried different games i was left scratching my head..

Always the host... then its unplayable.. ?

0 Ratings
an_online_gamer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

been on the phone to a BT broadband advisor who will now look into this issue.. he said he will get back to me over the next 48 hours.. explained fully what is happening telling him my internet speed etc.. hopefully he will find my problem whether its through put of traffic or any other issue..

anybody know why P2P (peer-2-peer) for gaming is classed in the same bracket as using a torrent ? im really hoping my line can be put right as im now tied into a long contract ...

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

Hi

I hope they get your line sorted out, I enjoy paying all my games online and have never encountered any of the problems you are having on my xbox or pc.  

Normally isp's have a list of manufactures games and they are not subject to the same restrictions as bit torrent/ p2p.

Hope it all goes well for you

0 Ratings
an_online_gamer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

have'nt had any phone call's today regarding the slow down of my BT infinity broadband line.. in the last 3 hours have been online on both the PS3 & the XBOX and the problem is still there... im host in every online game i play but each game is almost unplayable every time..the actual game i play as host on the PS3 runs really slow (only as host) and looking left/right has a blurry feel to it.. on the XBOX its running slightly quicker but still nowhere like it does on both consoles when im not hosting.. when ever everybody else hosts a game that i join,after speaking to them they have had no problem what so ever.. most seem to be on a cable ISP but the speed stats are very simular to mine.. just the hosting is totally different for me...???

http://speedtest.net/result/1586999761.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/50309878.png

just tested my speed with the above score... i still cant work out why my line is being slowed down ....

just reiterate that my g/f works from home mon-fri 8am-5pm on a live server including emails etc... the live server would involve being logged on all day checking accounts including various stock levels etc.. so she is very busy pretty much every day..

im online with my PS3/XBOX prob a couple of nights a week plus as i do shift work,on my days off i play COD most of them days .. so prob around 40/50 hours a week playing online depending..

i chose option 2 BT Infinty unlimited because i new i needed a very good line with all mine and my g/fs needs..

0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 17

p2p for games is not classed as the same thing as downloads they analyse the headers then dont throttle it for games and other things

also battlefield 3 does not make you host it uses servers to host the game so the person who said they get the same thing when there host on it is incorrect
0 Ratings
pennywise
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

@jcampy wrote:
p2p for games is not classed as the same thing as downloads they analyse the headers then dont throttle it for games and other things

Any sources for this information? P2P traffic is P2P regardless of what the end product is. Do you not remember the massive issue with Rift earlier in the year?

0 Ratings