cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Transfer Yahoo email address to a BT Mail account

Go to solution

Good Morning @RobbieMac. Thanks for that post - I too am looking at the possibility of transferring my email addresses to another BT account at some future point.

I will be selling my own house and moving in with my finacee, who also has BT Broadband & email so I want to take my email adresses (and disposables) with me.

However, it may be a problem that she has the newer BT email, as opposed to my own BT Yahoo mail. I've read elsewhere that it is not possible to mix the two types on one account. So - is that the case? If yes, does anyone have a workaround other than the expense of putting a second BT line into her house?

Other than that, the cheap but painful option seems to be to generate a whole raft of new email addresses with a neutral provider like gmail.

I'm sure I'm not the first to face this so any suggestions welcomed. Cheers.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Transfer Yahoo email address to a BT Mail account

Go to solution

Hi @WhiskyWerrington I moved you post to create your own thread as that's the best thing to do. 

Firstly does your Partner have enough space on your broadband email account to accommodate your email address/s. She can check out how many available spaces she has by checking at step 5 on This Help Page.

If there is enough space then we will be able to help sort this out for you.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @JohnC2. Thx for moving my post.

Thank you also for your very prompt and positive response. To keep my query in context, I am at an early planning stage of the move and looking at options now in case I need to make time-consuming changes to email addresses. So - it would be great to get a BT solution sorted in principle and then hopefully I can pick that up with you later on.

In answer to your Q - number of mail addresses - As I understand it, we are well within the 11 limit - Total between us is 7.

One Primary each, plus I have 5 secondary & 120+ disposables. 

To clarify, am I right in thinking that I can keep my BT Yahoo mail account with its disposable address facility, and mix that with the newer BT Mail on the destination account?  I would have been happy to change to the newer BT Mail system except that it no longer supports creation of new disposables, which is a bit of a pity.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@WhiskyWerrington wrote:

In answer to your Q - number of mail addresses - As I understand it, we are well within the 11 limit - Total between us is 7.

One Primary each, plus I have 5 secondary & 120+ disposables. 

To clarify, am I right in thinking that I can keep my BT Yahoo mail account with its disposable address facility, and mix that with the newer BT Mail on the destination account?  I would have been happy to change to the newer BT Mail system except that it no longer supports creation of new disposables, which is a bit of a pity.

Hi.

Unless I'm completely mistaken, you can't have a BTYahoo account as a sub account of a BTMail account - they are different systems.

In fact, I can't recall seeing any post that has had accounts moved from BTYahoo to BTMail (or the other way around), even without all the disposables.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Andy_N

You are correct, you can not have BTYahoo email put onto the BTMail system. What can happen is to have the BTYahoo email accounts "associated" with the BTMail broadband account so that for the purpose of "ownership" it appears that they belong to the BTMail account.

I am not sure if the BTYahoo disposable addresses can stay with the BTYahoo account and be become "associated" but since they are not physically moving onto the BTMail system I suspect that they will remain as part of the base email address that set them up and as such will become "associate". I could of course be entirely wrong and they can not be associated and they would be lost. 

Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Andy_N @gg30340

Thanks guys. Both Posts very helpful.

@gg30340 wrote:

Andy_N

You are correct, you can not have BTYahoo email put onto the BTMail system. What can happen is to have the BTYahoo email accounts "associated" with the BTMail broadband account so that for the purpose of "ownership" it appears that they belong to the BTMail account.

My prior research suggested exactly as you both say, mixing the two is uncommon, at best. This was the rationale for planning in advance. The subtle detail regarding "ownership" & "association" is lost on me somewhat, I'm afraid, but I read that there may be a "slim" chance of keeping my existing disposables. I'm not hopeful tbh.

I was pretty much already resigned to a wholesale change of email addresses, but was hoping that there might be some handy BT solution. Retaining my existing disposables is key for me, if possible.

Failing that, suggestions as to a new email host would be much appreciated. It would be good to hear experience of Yahoo itself as a contender - given that it offers disposables (at least, last time I looked - LOL)

For now, I'll wait to see if the mods have an early Xmas present for me. I can but hope  Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

As regards your comment "The subtle detail regarding "ownership" & "association" is lost on me somewhat".

If you leave BT Broadband your email accounts are deleted unless you pay £5 for BT Premium email. This allows you to keep ownership of the email accounts and they will not be deleted.

If however you transfer them onto another BT Broadband email account you do not have to pay £5 for BT Premium email because the email accounts become part of the receiving BT Broadband email account,  but this can only be done if both the "old" and "new" BT Broadband accounts use the same email system.

If, as in your instance, you are wanting to transfer a BTYahoo email account onto a BT Broadband email account that uses the BTMail email system it can not become part of the receiving BT Broadband email account because they are on different email systems.

To get around this, BT can "associate" the BTYahoo email account to the receiving BTBroadband email account which in effect gives ownership of the "old" email account to the "new" email account even although they are on different systems. 

I hope that makes sense!

Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@gg30340 Thank you for that very clear explanation. It was kind of you to take the time and I'm tempted to mark your reply as the solution /answer (despite not being the one I wanted to hear LOL). I'll see if BT has anything to add first . . . . . . . .  

@JohnC2 Good Morning. Contributions so far strongly indicate that I may not be able to achieve a simple transfer and keep my existing disposables facility. . . . . . . . . . Unless, of course, you know different . . . . . . . . . Does BT have a magic wand handy? Smiley Wink 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @WhiskyWerrington Yes the "simple" transfer is not an option but we should be able to arrange to move the email addresses over for you. I'm not sure about the disposable email addresses but we can check that out at the time for you. Do you know when approximately you would like to move the addresses over?

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks @JohnC2.

The really key question for me is keeping my existing disposable addresses and the facility to create more.

If it comes to it, then I want plenty of time to create a new email structure (non BT) and notify changes to organisations.

The move should be Spring 2018, but I was hoping to get a clear "Yes / No" answer now, if this is possible.

Cheers

0 Ratings