Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Tree on the line!

Go to solution

I live in a small village served by an overhead phone cable. There are, to my knowledge, only 5 or 6 properties connected to this cable. All of us have suffered an intermittent loss of phones and broadband over at least 2 years and we have ascertained the cause as a 250mm diameter tree branch which has fallen onto the cable where it enters our road. The branch is swinging on the cable, which is stretched downwards to about a metre above the ground. This has obviously caused various lines within that cable to break and cut off the phone and broadband to that line.

Despite numerous complaints about intermittent service, complete lack of service and the extreme frustration of the ongoing nature of this saga - precisely nothing has been done about the actual cause of our problems. BT's engineers know what the problem is - their meters pinpoint it exactly every time they come out - yet still nothing is done about it. Our faulty lines are simply re-routed through a working line across the damaged cable and this leaves us waiting for the same problem to arise yet again as soon as the wind blows and swings the branch around.

The cable and branch in question are on private land but surely that's the case for a lot of BT's hardware? There must be legal access rights to such equipment? Surely constant call-outs are costing a whole lot more than simply replacing a length of cable?

I've joined this forum out of sheer frustration in the hope that someone can suggest what we have to do to achieve the service we are paying for. I refuse ever again to speak to someone in another country about a problem that is obviously beyond their understanding. We've considered refusing to pay our bills until it's fixed properly but that would simply mean our phones would be cut off. Our next step (and last resort) would be to contact our local media with our tale of woe and attempt to shame BT into action - but I don't believe they could care less.

If we had the alternative of mobile phones I would rip out my landline now - trouble is mobile reception in our valley is minimal to non-existent so we really have no choice.

Any suggestions please?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Tree on the line!

Go to solution

This is a customer to customer help forum, your posts do not go to BT here. The only BT employees on the forum are the forum mods, but they do not read all posts that are made. Other than the mods, all users here are customers who are simply trying to assist in solving your problem.

Unfortunately, the line issue you are experiencing can only be solved by Openreach, who manage the network equally for all ISPs. BT Retail, your provider, cannot do anything and it's up to Openreach to find time to solve it.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
contact Openreach Reporting damage?

We want to know immediately if you think that any part of our network (outside the boundary of your property) has the potential to be a danger to the general public, if you notice that it has been damaged, or to report unsafe Openreach worksites. We'd like you to call us on the Damage Reporting Number, 0800 023 2023 (Option 1).

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

If you have a problem with your phone and broadband due to the lines and tree, while it may be Openreach that have to repair it, that is of no concern to you.

Your contract is with BT and it is up to BT to sort the problem. As I have said, it is of no concern to you who BT have to out source the repair work to and it is solely BT's responsibility to ensure that the work is done satisfactorily and it is up to BT to complain to Openreach if the job is not being done correctly.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

RobbieMac
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi paul200,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the problems you're having with your services and that this has been going on for so long.  Send us over your details and we'll help you from here.

Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see our contact link.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
paul200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for that. I'm only now aware of the relationship between BT and Openreach and agree with you that it is for BT to sort it out. I've now been contacted by the moderators but I'm afraid I won't get too excited at the moment!
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

the mods will get back to you but you are in a queue of others waiting for help so it hac take 3/5 working days but probably sooner

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
paul200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Quick update. Had a visit from Openreach yesterday. The engineer seemed surprised that nothing had been done before and has arranged for something to be done - either the branch removed or (preferably) the cable replaced across the broken section. Watch this space.

0 Ratings
paul200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

This gets worse! As a result of a Moderators intervention we've had a succession of Openreach engineers looking at our lines in the village and eventually the tree branch was removed and the line repaired. While the original assessments were being carried out and a day before the line was repaired, a second branch came down close to the first. We were unable to report this, however, because we still had an open incident going on! (So don't anyone dare have two separate incidents totally out of their control happen to their phone line!).

The engineers sorting out the first tree branch told me about the second one - all we knew of it was that all our phones in the village were out - and we stupidly assumed that they would also deal with the second branch. No! My neighbour has just been along to say their phones in two properties are faulty again. I've just got back from a walk up the lane to see what the score is and find that the second branch is pinning the telephone line to the ground! How, if it was an Openreach engineer that told us about this, can it still be sitting on top of the line? You couldn't make it up could you?

I'm almost past caring now but I'm trying to find some way of circumventing the god-awful call centres and complaining to someone who cares and/or legal action of some kind. Anyone got any experience of taking things further please? Maybe Trading Standards? We're paying BT full rate for a service that is not being delivered and I don't give a **bleep** who has to fix it - BT are not delivering - end of.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Paul200,

I'm glad I was able to get this fixed for you. Don't worry, we're on the case with @billnles as well and we'll get that sorted to. Post back if you have any further problems and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings