cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Trees & lines

Our phone line passes through a tree on the side of the road which has caused the line to become noisy on calls & the BB speed to drop from the usual  6Mbps to 0.18Mbs. We reported the fault & an engineer called & found that the span passing through the tree was damaged & needed replacing. 

He said he could not replace the span as the tree branches needed removing first. He said he would report it to Open Reach & they would carry out the work. 

How long should we expect to wait for O/R to cut the  tree back?

The BB has got worse in the last week the  router can spend half an hour or more reseting before BB is connected only to lose connection again after 10mins.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Trees & lines

@bassman wrote:

Our phone line passes through a tree on the side of the road which has caused the line to become noisy on calls & the BB speed to drop from the usual  6Mbps to 0.18Mbs. We reported the fault & an engineer called & found that the span passing through the tree was damaged & needed replacing. 

He said he could not replace the span as the tree branches needed removing first. He said he would report it to Open Reach & they would carry out the work. 

How long should we expect to wait for O/R to cut the  tree back?

The BB has got worse in the last week the  router can spend half an hour or more reseting before BB is connected only to lose connection again after 10mins.

A lot depends on who "owns" the tree.  I would advise that you try and contact the tree owner directly and see if they will cut the appropriate branches.  If it is the local council you may get prompt action. I had a similar problem with powerlines and it took months for the grid supplier to get permission to prune the trees causing the problem.

Alternatively try getting Openreach to re-route the line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

From my previous experience of talking to Openreach, they didn't touch trees for all sorts of reasons (ownership, H&S, environmental legislation etc). It's a minefield.

So I wouldn't hold your breath. For trees on a public highway your best bet has to be the council.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

The tree is on the grass verge along the road so is in the "care" of the highways/council then.

This happened a couple of years ago, as it was in Fepruary the engineer threaded a new line through the tree. He did say back then that the line will "go again"

However the engineer this time said he could not replace the line till the tree had been cut back.

We're in a rural area & there are only two lines on the poles.

I'll enquire at the council.

As this is an Ash this is one tree I won't mind falling victim to the Chalara fraxinea virus........

Many thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings