cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamesstevens
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Trial FTTC Unlimited Faster Broadband or possibility of FTTP

Im currently on ADSL 2+ and Im receiving the max speed estimate of 5.5mb BT suggest for my line. I want to know if I could trial Unlimited Faster Broadband as currently BT dont give me the option because of distance of 3km but the FTTC cabinet is 500m closer than the exchange and my line seems to have a great speed considering the distance. Also I would go for FTTP if it was available especially as for laying the fibre there is already copper and fibre running from the local exchange straight passed my house so would be a simple case of threading a line through or connecting into the existing fibre.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Trial FTTC Unlimited Faster Broadband or possibility of FTTP

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

At 2.5km from the cabinet you're unlikely to get anything on VDSL2, if you did I doubt it would be as good as 5.5meg.

BT won't offer it as a trial.

Can you pop your number into here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post the results. Remove your number before posting.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@Jamesstevens wrote:

Im currently on ADSL 2+ and Im receiving the max speed estimate of 5.5mb BT suggest for my line. I want to know if I could trial Unlimited Faster Broadband as currently BT dont give me the option because of distance of 3km but the FTTC cabinet is 500m closer than the exchange and my line seems to have a great speed considering the distance. Also I would go for FTTP if it was available especially as for laying the fibre there is already copper and fibre running from the local exchange straight passed my house so would be a simple case of threading a line through or connecting into the existing fibre.

You can't compare the speed of ADSL 2+ and FTTC.  VDSL speed drops off much quicker over distance than ADSL 2+

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

This quite an old graph and is a bit pessimistic with regard to VDSL speeds but you can see that ADSL2+ is quicker over relatively short distances and continues to be as distance increases.

FTTN VDSL2 speed graph

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

"Also I would go for FTTP if it was available especially as for laying the fibre there is already copper !and fibre running from the local exchange straight passed my house so would be a simple case of threading a line through or connecting into the existing fibre." it is not as simple as that I am afraid ! there is a lot of infrastructure work needed
0 Ratings