Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scj1066
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Troublesome PC on HH5

Go to solution

I have a strange problem with my Infinity 2 / HH5 set-up, which I hope might sound familiar to someone and that there's a simple fix?!

All laptops (with the exception of one - see below) and devices (Kindle, Internet Radio, Phone, etc) all connect successfully wirelessly to the HH5 and I get up to 59mbs down and 17 up via wireless when doing a speed test on the laptops, which is excellent.

The problem comes when I connect another laptop via either wired or wireless connection ... at this point the wireless connection to all the other laptops / devices drops out and I get only a very slow / no connection on the offending laptop.

As soon as I turn wi-fi off or pull the LAN cable on the offending laptop, wireless connectivity is back to all other devices at the top speed.

I have smart set-up turned off on the hub and have 'de-linked' the 2.4 and 5ghz channels with a separate SSID for the 5ghz as advised elsewhere.

The offending laptop is next to another that is ok and both are plugged into the same power socket. I've also tried different cables and disconnected the wireless mouse on the offending laptop in case wireless interference was the problem but no change.

It certainly seems as though the offending laptop is the problem, which only cropped up in the last couple of weeks, but not sure what to do to further diagnose the problem / fix it .... hopefully someone can help?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Troublesome PC on HH5

Go to solution

What make and model of laptop? What Operating system is it using? What happens if you disconnected all your other equipment and connect the laptop on its own?

Have you checked that the laptop network adaptor drivers are up to date using the manufacturer's website rather than using Windows which can be out of date.

scj1066
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Laptop is a Samsung NP350V5C-AOEUK running Windows 8. My son's PC (purchased at the same time and running fine) is a Samsung NP355V5C-AO7UK running Windows 8.1 (updated from 8 at the weekend).

Looking at the wireless (Qualcomm Atheros) and LAN (Realtek) drivers, they are the same on both machines but my son's machine has later versions of the driver software for both wireless and LAN. I copied the driver files from my son's machine onto mine and did a driver check on Windows Device Manager, browsing / pointing to where I put the new files for the check and it is saying both drivers are up to date, which I don't think can be right given the dates on the new drivers.

Can I / how can I force an upgrade to the drivers as these may well be causing the problem?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

If you go to the wireless adaptor you will see an option to uninstall the present driver. Once you have done that you should then be able to install the new driver.  

Before doing that did you try connecting the laptop on its own. If it works OK it might not be the laptop that is causing the problem. If it connects OK, reconnect your other devices one at a time to see what happens.

scj1066
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Have connected the offending laptop on its own with everything else turned off / disconnected and it doesnt work at all wired and is very very slow on wireless (2mb down / 1 up and with very very slow connection to hub manager).

Closed that laptop down and went on this old Windows 7 laptop wirelessly (my wife's laptop) and got 53mb down and 16 up.

Everything is pointing to the offending laptop I think ... which drivers should I be looking to uninstall / update and what's the best place to get the latest versions from (Qualcomm Atheros and Realtek)?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

The drivers for the LAN and wireless are on the Samsung site.  They may be the ones that are presently installed.

You could also check here for the adaptor you have http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/resources/driverdownloads/

and here for the Realtech ones. http://www.realtek.com.tw/search/default.aspx?keyword=drivers

If you can not find the correct ones you could try uninstalling the adaptors and re-starting the laptop. Windows will then re-install them with the onboard drivers.

To do that go into Device Manager and highlight the adaptor then righ click and you'll be given the option to uninstall. Click on it and follow prompts. When it's done just restart the laptop and Windows will re-install it.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Try with the troublesome laptop unplugged from the mains and see if the problem still exists then. Could be a noisy psu.

0 Ratings
scj1066
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Tried the PSU - no joy I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
scj1066
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Checked on the Samsung site and the drivers on there are the same versions / dates as the ones that are presently installed on my laptop.

Uninstalled the drivers and re-started as suggested and Windows re-installed from the current drivers.

Problem still exists I'm afraid. As soon as I plug the LAN cable in or try and connect wirelessly the wireless goes down on all the other devices?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

I would try running the laptop in "safe mode with networking".  This will allow the laptop to run with the most basic of settings and still connect to the Internet by a wired connection. 

If it connects OK and all the other computers run as they should it will help establish if there is a problem with some software on the laptop or if it is a hardware problem.

See link how to start in safe mode with networking

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-windows-8-in-safe-mode/

EDIT: Out of interest why have you not upgraded it to Windows 8.1?

When you connect by Ethernet have you tried turning the wireless adaptor off?