cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickigray00
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Trying to cancel within 14 days - watch out for the small print!

Ordered new broadband from BT on 2nd November, it was delivered and connected on 16th November.  I called today to say I wanted to cancel as the new BT hub is no better than my old Plusnet and they have told me that the 14 day cancellation period starts from the day I ordered.  So that means I only had 1 day from receipt of goods and start of service to cancel and now have to pay the full annual package fee to leave.  How can this be right?  Now waiting for complaints department to call me back - not holding my breath.  Any suggestions on what Ombudsman or such like to contact about this would be most appreciated.  Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Trying to cancel within 14 days - watch out for the small print!

As per the contract you agreed
0 Ratings
nickigray00
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

You sound like you work for BT!

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

You can contact anyone you like, but the 14 day period started the day you placed the order.

Did you really believe BT's marketing hype about their new Home Hub?

0 Ratings
nickigray00
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

More fool me! Yes I did. How can they get away with talking such a load of rubbish.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

The Consumer Contracts Regulations which replaced the Distance Selling Regulations 2000, provide protection to protect people who purchase goods or services when they're not face-to-face with their supplier.

Under the rules you have a cancellation period of 14 days from entering into the contract. It is not from when the service goes live.

Once the contract goes live you would need to prove that BT have not fulfilled their part of the contract in order to cancel without penalty.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Bear in mind, it does not matter which router or service provider you use, its your phone line, and how you have it connected which determines your connection speed.

This is why you are not seeing any difference.

If you would like help from this forum, to get the best speed that is possible, then please ask.

0 Ratings