cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 15

Trying to use Netgear D6300 with BT Infinity. Any help?

I currently am using the Home Hub 3 (I believe) and the openreach Modem supplied by BT. I have a Netgear D6300 modem/router combo and have not been able to figure out how to use it with my infinity connection or if it is even possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Trying to use Netgear D6300 with BT Infinity. Any help?

Its an ADSL modem/router, so its not possible to use it with Infinity. You just need a wireless router only, to connect into the Openreach modem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Keith B is not quite correct - the R6300 does not have an ADSL router built in.  I use a very similar system to the one you describe, which works faultlessly. Please excuse me if some of the instructions below are too simple - I don't know how much knowledge to assume.

• Connect the BT equipment as in the BT instructions. 
  • Connect a computer via a patch cable to the HH3, and check that you receive an ip address in the range 192.168.1.nn.
  • To do this, open a command window by typing "cmd" followed by <enter> in the run programs window above the start button (assumes you have Windows and a start button - Linux is different, as is Windows 8 - I don't know about Macs), and in the window type "ipconfig" followed by <enter> .
  • That will confirm that the BT side of things is functioning.   At this point, if you intend using the R6300 for your wireless point, you might want to log into the HH3's management system (http://192.168.1.254/) and turn the BT wireless off (settings, wireless). 

• Then connect the WAN port from the R6300 to any input on the HH3 using a patch cable. 
  • Then connect your computer via a patch cable to the R6300. 
  • Confirm that you have a new ip address, which will probably be in the rang 10.10.10.nn. (as before).
  • If this does not happen, you may need to refresh the ip address with ipconfig /release <enter> and ipconfig /refresh 
  • This will show that the R6300 has reset itself to an IP range which does not clash with that of the HH3.
  • You should be able to see the internet from your computer .
  • Henceforth you should be able to login to the HH3 at http://192.168.1.254/ and the R6300 at http://10.10.10.1 (if the latter does not work, run ipconfig as before and check what ip address has been given for the gateway.

Hope this helps

Jeremy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 15

you need to connect it from the openreach modem by the wan ethernet port and run the set up for it, it should connect to infinity fine. the wan ethernet port is the grey ethernet port beside the 4 ethernet lan ports, do not try connecting with the dsl port, this will not work. for the setup use the username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password can be anything you want. also it must be set to pppoe connection type

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

The OP is asking about the D6300 not the R6300. The D6300 is an ADSL router, the R6300 is simply a wifi router, and can be used with Infinity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 15

kieth yes the d6300 is an adsl modem/router but also has a wan ethernet port for connecting to a fibre modem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

My error.  Sorry.

Jeremy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 15

Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

I'm guessing that if the op followed my instructions, and ignored the port for ADSL and just used the WAN port to connect to his HH3, all would function as I suggest.  Whether there would be any benefit in this, I don't know, as - I presume - he might as well connect the D6300 directly to the BT Infinity modem.

Jeremy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

@soapy wrote:

kieth yes the d6300 is an adsl modem/router but also has a wan ethernet port for connecting to a fibre modem

If that is the case, then it should be possible to re-configure it, a bit like the HH3. Most ADSL routers do not allow this, so what Jeremy says, may be possible.

Netgear do not describe the product very clearly.

0 Ratings