Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 16

Turn it Orf !!

Hi All,

I'm getting Infinity 2 installed on Tuesday 19th, and I have a question whch I haven't seen anyone else ask on here in the few months that I've been looking in.   Basically, I don't like leaving unnecessary electrical items plugged in during the night, and I include my home network in that - if we're all asleep we're not going to be using it !  So, I turn off and unplug my current Linksys modem/router  at bedtime and it stays off until the next time someone needs to use it.  

My question is whether I'm likely to do any harm to the HH3 or the Infinity modem -  or my IP profile come to that -  by treating them the same way ?   Judging by other posts on here it looks like I'm actually MORE likely to get consist speeds by (effectively) resetting the router every day, but I'd like to know if I'm likely to be digging a hole for myself by doing this !

Thanks,

John

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Turn it Orf !!

leave them turned on 24/7 you could well cause your self more problems then it is worth
0 Ratings
P4PERTR4iL
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

i noticed it does effect it, i think when you reset/turn off n on it re tests your line to an ip profile

besides leaving your hh3 and modem uses a few watts so its worth just leaving it on
0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 16

Quite possibly, but how so ?

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 16

It is probably best to keep the openreach fiber modem on as it may cause problems if turned off, eg lowering your IP Profile reducing sync speeds.

The HomeHub3 automatically reduces the power consumption after 5 minutes of no activity. You can also get it to go into power saving mode at certain times of the day, eg night. The powersaving mode turns off all wifi connections and displays an orange power light on the hub when it is activated. It will automatically turn everything back on out of the powersaving times you have set it.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 6 of 16

Turning the Home Hub off will should not cause problems. As long as the modem stays in sync it should retain the same IP profile when it re-connects with the RAS in the morning.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

to put it very simply if you turn it on and off then your speed and ip profile will suffer and you will have a poor connection
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 8 of 16

not if the modem stays on
0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Thanks for your help so far folks !   My apologies for not stating this in my initial post, but I've been an IT techy since 1970 so there is no need to leave the technical stuff out of your explanations.  

0 Ratings
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 10 of 16

It’s safe to turn off the homehub3 as long as the white openreach modem remains connected then you shouldn’t have any issues with your IP profile.

0 Ratings