cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tb_forum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Two Factor Authentication for BT Mail (& My BT)?

Does anyone else wonder why two factor authentication/two step verification is not provided as a security option on BT Mail? GMail and Outlook are secured with this plus this is not restricted to email, many other companies have this security for account access - see https://twofactorauth.org/ for examples and so this would be relevant to securing access to My BT. Given the ease of user implementation (sms/sw authenticator/hw token), I struggle to see why this is not provided by BT given the amount of personal data which goes through email accounts.

Any views on whether this is important to you?

From a personal perspective, having an email account hacked is a significant issue. My sister had one of her email accounts (not BT Mail) hacked a while ago. I have to say it was a painful experience, not just having to update PC and mobile apps etc, but trying to figure out whether any other personal data was compromised and making changes to all potentially affected items. Plus, friends email addresses were harvested and then impacted (as a minimum with increased spam).

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
iNathan
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: Two Factor Authentication for BT Mail (& My BT)?

2 Factor Authentication is very important to me, thankfully I've recently been migrating every service I use from BT mail due to it's poor security features.

Almost all other ISPs in the UK provide 2 factor authentication for provided webmail, apart from Sky, BT and AOL (AOL are currently rolling it out in the US and then the UK).

Sky & BT. Get a grip. Also please update your email account settings page to something which doesn't look like it was made in the early 2000's.
0 Ratings
tulloch
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

I agree with you 100% Yahoo has two-factor and another system called device key, yet BT customers on Yahoo mail do not have access to these features.

According to the BT press release only a "small minority" of BT broadband customers are still on Yahoo mail. It's been years now, when are that small minority going to be migrated to the new, equally insecure email system?

It's not as if BT are not aware of modern security. How about this for irony?

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/the-simple-way-to-make-your-online-accounts-unhackable-1136...

0 Ratings
cshalluk
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Nearly one year on.  Does anyone have an update as I can't find anything in the BT email security settings ?

I've moved all my important email over to another provider that does support 2FA/2SA authentication.  

If your BT email account is hacked then all the popular shopping/ financial sites "forgot password" links will be used to access more of your personal info.

Chris

0 Ratings
tulloch
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

@cshalluk wrote:

Nearly one year on.  Does anyone have an update as I can't find anything in the BT email security settings ?

I've moved all my important email over to another provider that does support 2FA/2SA authentication.  

If your BT email account is hacked then all the popular shopping/ financial sites "forgot password" links will be used to access more of your personal info.

Chris

I've done the same as you. It's an absolute disgrace that BT email does not support the best security available and shows that they don't really care about their customer's security. As you point out keeping your primary email secure is vital. Btinternet mail is finished as far as I am concerned, a spam bucket, not worth using.

0 Ratings
Mad_Al
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Being a victim of constant cyber attacks to my emails, normally every 10 - 12 days, (I'm running out of password ideas!), it's interesting to see that BT Internet email, a subsidiary of Yahoo Mail, has no 2FP, yet Yahoo does, so BT must choose to disable it, what frustrates me more is that I'm on BT Premium Mail and I'm paying for secure email. When I receive an attack it locks the password's on all the subsidiary accounts too. I've lost so many hours to resetting emails. It's ridiculous. 

The first hack I received allowed the hacker to access my Steam account, a platform for video games, they had access to my Pay Pal, credit cards and destroyed a 12 year friends list of contacts I'd built up within the video game industry, I even told BT the name of the hacker, phone number and address, yet still he continues to try to access my account locking it regularly, surely 2FP will elimanate this?

I feel your frustration and wish they would sort this out sooner, not roll it out late 2018 as they have stated.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

If your account is being hacked so often why are you still using it?

Set up a gmail account and inform all your contacts, banks etc and stop using the hacked account. It may take you a while to do that but it should help.

0 Ratings
Mad_Al
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

My wife's small buisness is run from one of the secondary accounts. I have brain damage so familiarity is everything to me. I understand this sounds crazy, but I have way too many side effects to list, but change is terrible. 

After spending  2hours setting up email passwords just had a notification that the password on my daughters has been changed already. SO that hasn't lasted a day!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Sorry to hear of your problem but I would still recommend changing your email if it is being hacked as often and as quickly as you say. 

You should check to see if there have been any forwarding email addresses entered into your email account.

Have a look through this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/~/how-can-i-tell-if-my-email-account-has-been-c...

0 Ratings
MiketheExDJ
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Just had notification from Action Fraud of the importance of two factor authentication.

Why are we not getting this on BT email.

Also how do we know that we are using BT Yahoo, or BT's own product?

0 Ratings