cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Two Freeview channels and Internet channels pixelating and dropping out

Hi all, I'm posting this issue on behalf of my grandmother who took out BT TV in January. She is on the Entertainment Plus package with HD Extras & a YouView DTR-2100 box. She has the HH5 on Infinity 1 and uses BT AV600 Powerline adaptors with good quality CAT 7 ethernet cables which is overkill really. A speed test on WiFi yeilds the full 50 - 52Mb so speed is good.

For the last few months the internet channels have been pixelating multiple times a day and on other occasions completely going off. When this happens, sometimes a message comes up advising of an internet connection problem, other times the screen is just blank and the channel will come back after a few seconds - 5 minutes. The light on the HH5 stays blue throughout. It seems to get worse every day and recording from these channels is impossible as when they pixelate/drop out the recordings get cancelled.

BT have checked everything from their end and aren't detecting any line faults. She recieved a replacement YouView box today and the same issue persists and also another problem has developed. Could a faulty HH5 be causing this issue? I've tried every ethernet port with no improvement.

Really out of ideas with this issue now and would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Andrew

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Two Freeview channels and Internet channels pixelating and dropping out

Hi all,

My grandmother has just had her DTR-2100 YouView box replaced due to a fault. Since then Chart Show TV & Clubland TV (channels 075 & 089 respectively) are unwatchable due to pixelation. The signal strength hovers around 20% and signal quality is 0%. These numbers are identical on both channels.

With the previous box, both figures were higher (35% strength & 20% quality) and the channels only pixelated on rare occasions, though the YVM302 box did keep popping up.

All other channels are unaffected with 95% signal strength & 100% signal quality. My questions are: why is the signal worse on a new YouView box? Are we suffering from 4G interference? Why are only 2 channels affected?

I'd be greatful for any help!

Thanks

Andrew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Re: Two Freeview channels and Internet channels pixelating and dropping out

Hi @av-115 I've placed both your posts on the same thread as they are both relating to TV and it's best to keep it all in the same place as the community members who will be able to advise on these issues will be able to help with all queries re the TV.

Is your grandmother experiencing any noise interference on phone calls or drops in her broadband connection other than the ones she has noticed on the Youview box?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 8

Hi @av-115

Sorry to hear your grandmother is having problems with the BT TV service. If you send me her telephone number via PM I can take a look into the issues for you.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Gemma P

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hi JohnC2,

I just thought it would be better to create separate threads as they are unrelated issues but if you think this is a better way of doing things that's fine by me! She hasn't had any problems with the telephone, and she doesn't use the internet very often other than for the YouView box but she hasn't experienced any issues.

Hi Gemma_P,

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to a member of the team today and they are sending out a long ethernet cable to eliminate the broadband extenders as the cause of the problem so I'll keep you posted! Hopefully 10m will be enough, if not I'll have to purchase my own cable.

With regards to the freeview channels pixelating, I'm going to get an aerial contractor to come out and check everything as there does seem to be some interference. It's just strange that the signal was significantly better on the previous box.

Andrew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

A couple of observations about your Freeview channel quality

First the signal strength and quality figures you quote for the previous Youview box  where you say reception was OK indicate a lowish signal strength and a very low quality.

Which transmitter is the signal received from ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hi, thanks for your reply! Yes it was very weak on the previous box but it was watchable unlike on the new box. The signal comes from Winter Hill and the customer lives in Manchester M20 area so not exactly near.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Seems like I've solved one part of this problem. Using a 10m ethernet cable running from the HH5 to the YouView box with no drop-outs or pixelation on the BT channels so far. Fingers crossed.

Still got the Freeview pixelation issues but only on Chartshow TV (75) & Clubland TV (89). How can I fix this? The signal strength & quality is 30% / 0% and unwatchable on the downstairs YouView box. On the upstairs one using a different aerial the strength and quality is 40% / 20% which although low is watchable and doesn't pixelate. I've tried a signal booster with a built in 4G filter, no difference. On all other channels the signal strength is 95% and quality 100%. Out of ideas.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

0 Ratings