Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
slayer1551
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Two weeks later 14 Mb speed and 4 missed engineer appointments

Go to solution

Its now been two weeks and I'm starting to lose faith in BT completely and there customer services are a complete joke.

I had infinity installed and was told I should be getting around 27Mb down and 5 Mb up. After the engineer set everything up and he ran a speed test and the maximum I got was 17Mb, not what I was expecting but better than my previous 3Mb.

3 days later the speed started fluctuate and dropped to 12Mb and now its settled on 14Mb even though I get great upload speed which is around what they estimated.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 14337 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds iis 12000-15844 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -15844 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4246 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

I had an engineer out this Friday who did some line tests and checked the cabinet which was getting 40Mb and left telling me that the wiring from the cabinet from the house must be Aluminium rather than copper which would explain the slow speed and its unlikely BT would replace it. He also reset my profile and I did get 17Mbs for a few hours untill it started to go down again to 14Mbs.

I rang customer support again and they said an engineer would come out to look at replacing the wiring the following day, which was a Saturday and didn't show up even after ringing BT and promising they would be here in the next hour. They then arranged for an engineer to come out on Sunday which was another no show, after speaking to BT yet again they told me the fault was at my exchange and the engineer was fixing it which must of been a lie because an OpenReach engineer was across my road fixing a fault for another customer who told me he was the one of two who were assigned my area for the day and no one was at the exchange.

So I rang them again and complained about the two previous missed appointments and they promised an engineer would be with me on the Monday which was another no show.

Now they rang me today to tell me that they would be sending an engineer out on Tuesday, after me waiting in all weekend and all of today, only to be rang back 2 hours later to tell me they wouldn't be visiting the house and would be working on the exchange yet again.

The thing is the phone line quality is really crackly on some days and if it rains the phone line gets a lot worse, the Internet also drops out occasionally and I only get download speeds of 5 Mb which is a joke.

I understand replacing the line between the house and the cabinet is a big task and that they could just make me choose the broadband with fibre option but my telephone is suffering too so surely they should repair it ?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Two weeks later 14 Mb speed and 4 missed engineer appointments

Go to solution
Normally with a issue like this they replace you dropwire first unless its allready fairly new
0 Ratings
Icaras
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

@slayer1551 wrote:

Its now been two weeks and I'm starting to lose faith in BT completely and there customer services are a complete joke.

I had infinity installed and was told I should be getting around 27Mb down and 5 Mb up. After the engineer set everything up and he ran a speed test and the maximum I got was 17Mb, not what I was expecting but better than my previous 3Mb.

3 days later the speed started fluctuate and dropped to 12Mb and now its settled on 14Mb even though I get great upload speed which is around what they estimated.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 14337 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds iis 12000-15844 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -15844 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4246 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

I had an engineer out this Friday who did some line tests and checked the cabinet which was getting 40Mb and left telling me that the wiring from the cabinet from the house must be Aluminium rather than copper which would explain the slow speed and its unlikely BT would replace it. He also reset my profile and I did get 17Mbs for a few hours untill it started to go down again to 14Mbs.

I rang customer support again and they said an engineer would come out to look at replacing the wiring the following day, which was a Saturday and didn't show up even after ringing BT and promising they would be here in the next hour. They then arranged for an engineer to come out on Sunday which was another no show, after speaking to BT yet again they told me the fault was at my exchange and the engineer was fixing it which must of been a lie because an OpenReach engineer was across my road fixing a fault for another customer who told me he was the one of two who were assigned my area for the day and no one was at the exchange.

So I rang them again and complained about the two previous missed appointments and they promised an engineer would be with me on the Monday which was another no show.

Now they rang me today to tell me that they would be sending an engineer out on Tuesday, after me waiting in all weekend and all of today, only to be rang back 2 hours later to tell me they wouldn't be visiting the house and would be working on the exchange yet again.

The thing is the phone line quality is really crackly on some days and if it rains the phone line gets a lot worse, the Internet also drops out occasionally and I only get download speeds of 5 Mb which is a joke.

I understand replacing the line between the house and the cabinet is a big task and that they could just make me choose the broadband with fibre option but my telephone is suffering too so surely they should repair it ?

I would suggest you concentrate first on getting rid of the crackling on your line. When you phone up just tell them about that. That in turn may help your broadbad.

0 Ratings
slayer1551
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Is the dropwire the bit from the house to pole? The engineer said it looked fairly new and apprently theres some houses further up my street that had infinity fitted and get a max download speed of 2Mb!!

I did mention on the phone that my line was terrible especially when it rained which is why I was really happy when the guy on the phone said they would send someone out on the Saturday visit to replace my wiring and now they wont even send someone out to the house now Smiley Sad Getting so frustrated with the customer support

0 Ratings
TurntableZ
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I know this sounds daft and i might be teaching you how to suck eggs but are you testing the speed over wireless or ethernet?

0 Ratings
slayer1551
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Yeah I'm wired thought the gigabit port so I know that's not the problem. Also tried two different routers and modems. I'm 99% sure it's got to be the wire from the house to cabinet like the original engineer said I just wish they would acknowledge it and fix it
0 Ratings
TurntableZ
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
Yer defo sounds like its the wire to the house then. I mean it comes in over head! it must be old school.
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
Hi slayer1551,

If you can fill out the contact us form in the "about me" section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.

Cheers,
Chris
BT Moderator Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
slayer1551
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks Chris, I've done that, I'm hoping that you or one of your team can finally get this sorted
Many thanks
0 Ratings
MrMarf
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem as you. 14mb line speed, 25mb expected speed(as confirmed with BT Support) and 4 failed engineer visits. My phoneline is clear as a bell though.

Looking like I'll be cancelling the service shortly. I was going to say that the customer service is shocking, but it's not, it's non existent.  

0 Ratings