cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reyn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

UHD Box - Noise

The fan noise when the box warms up is very noticably from 10 feet away with the tv volume on especially when the set gets hot while watching the tv through the box. I just wondered if I have an especially noisy box or if others are having the problem. It revs up lasts for about 30 seconds then dies down again. Noise is like a loud computer fan.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: UHD Box - Noise

My fan is either never on and very very very quiet as I can never hear it.

0 Ratings
yellowandgreen
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Yes mine is the same. Hot enough to fry an egg on it! It's all quite normal.
0 Ratings
reyn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

If it's Normal then for me it's too noisy, I have had a chat with a very nice Scottish lady who has organised to send me a replacement box to try. The box is sat on it's own on an open shelf with plenty of room around it. My previous Panasonic Freeview recorder was silent even though it had a fan, twice the size of this Humax box maybe that's the problem not enough space around the components. I'll see what the new box is like before deciding what to do.

0 Ratings
yellowandgreen
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Nothing around my UHD box and yes the fan kicks in as you describe from time to time and the heat it gives out saves on central heating costs! I think you will find your new replacement box just the same.
Worth highlighting this has also been noted in previous questions. Worth searching for these replies if your still concerned.
0 Ratings
shepherdr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

What version T4000 do you have? I have had the V2 box (off eBay) which has fan noise and the V3 box (sent with a new order) which is quieter. The version number is on the bottom.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

@reyn wrote:

If it's Normal then for me it's too noisy, I have had a chat with a very nice Scottish lady who has organised to send me a replacement box to try. The box is sat on it's own on an open shelf with plenty of room around it. My previous Panasonic Freeview recorder was silent even though it had a fan, twice the size of this Humax box maybe that's the problem not enough space around the components. I'll see what the new box is like before deciding what to do.

I've got some rubber feet that I attached to the existing rubber feet under the box to raise it up.

Raising it up to get some additional ventilation under the box does seem to stop the fan having to work too hard.

0 Ratings
reyn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

The box is version 3, I will try you feet suggestion, I have decided to blame the wood burning stove for raising the room temperature too high. I have given it a good thrashing and told it to behave itself.

0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 9 of 11

@shepherdr wrote:
I have had the V2 box (off eBay) which has fan noise and the V3 box (sent with a new order) which is quieter. The version number is on the bottom.

Any idea if / where these Versions of the UHD box are documented ?

Cheers !

0 Ratings
OLD_MAN
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Confirm that my replacement box is noisy when the fan starts.  As the box gets very hot, it is now standing on 3/4" extended legs and that cuts done the amount of time the fan has to run.

If I really want peace and quiet, for a special film etc... I have a 3" computer cooling fan with small silicone feet which I place on top of the box.  That runs from an old 9v phone charger.  Obviously as the fan is 12 volt it runs at less than its optimum speed and is very, very quiet.  The result is a box that is completely silent and as cold as Jack Frost Smiley Wink

Downside....  looks like a junkyard!

0 Ratings