cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 31 of 43

Re: [UPDATED] How to setup HH6 as Wireless AP or Switch.

Go to solution

Folks,

I've set this up as an access point. I works, well sort of.

It works for several hours and then reboots. It's on Firmware version is SG4B10002244, and my ISP is not BT. 

I like the smart hub, but it's a let down by the fact that it reboots so frequently. I have hunted around and found this as part of the product description: "To ensure you're getting a premium WiFi experience at all times, smart scan checks the performance of your hub and network connection. If the Smart Hub discovers a problem, it discreetly reboots and establishes a fresh connection."

So whilst the smart hub is flashing purple because of this set up, is it determining that there is a problem with the broadband and so rebooting thinking that there is a problem?

If anyone has resolved this, I'd be grateful for the any tips. 

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 32 of 43

Go to solution
I followed your guide to the T, but when I run ipconfig/renew I get "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has it's media disconnected. An error occurred while renewing interface LAN : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out"
Any help appreciated.
Dan
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 33 of 43

Go to solution
I have experienced the same problem on the Hh5. Did you find a solution?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 43

Go to solution

@JayebmxI followed your original guide with some success - still trying to resolve some random wireless connection issues - IP address not being issued to device.

I'm a bit confused by your new guide though as some of the settings in your new guide are quite different to the original, e.g. Auth DHCP Off instead of On, uPnP On instead of Off, Ext uPnP Security Off instead of On.

I guess some of the settings might depend on each users setup - so happy to try various combinations until it works.

Quick Q - if I change one of these settings and save to the router, is the change evident immediately after or is there a delay. Should I be resetting the HH6 each time after saving?

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 43

Go to solution

Personally, I would turn everything possible off, the device is just being used as a switch/wifi sender. Any changes are immediate, reboot not necessary.

Did you try the suggestions I made in the other thread?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 43

Go to solution

Yes I always had the 2 frequency bands split into 2 SSIDs.

Switched off Smart setup but didn't seem to make any difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 37 of 43

Go to solution

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for your tutorial to set up the HH6 as a wireless AP.

Unfortunately, I am still having issues with the second router (the AP router) handling and assigning IP addresses which means that one or two devices can connect temporarily and other devices will not connect at all stating that the devices cannot obtain an IP address.

I do have another AP router set up (it was switched off whilst trying to set up the HH6) which is a Virgin SuperHub 2 and it works like an absolute charm (sorry BT).

However, on a positive note for those that are not happy with the HH6 constantly flashing and have managed to set it up without any problems, I have figured out a work around. The front fascia with the BT logo on unclips really easily.

• Turn it on its side and pull the fascia side out towards you. It will unclip. If it does not fully unclip, repeat on the other side.

P1010844_2_opt.jpg

• Then using a tool to open electronics (which is what I have as I like to mess with and fix electronics. Why I work in Admin, I don't know) a guitar pick or a butter knife works just as well, pull up the centre piece of plastic. You then have access to the LED's located in the middle of the router.  I have drawn a red circle on the below image to highlight what you are looking for.

P1010845_2_opt.jpg

P1010842_opt(1).jpg

• Simply either tape over the LED's with any opaque tape, or even a small bit of card then clip everything back together.

As said by the famous chef Raymond Blanc, voila !! Flashing disco lights are no more and without any messy visibly exposed tape on the outside. Shame I could not manage to get the HH6 to assign IP addresses though 🙄

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 38 of 43

Go to solution

Thank you very much for posting this guidance.

I tried this (original posting many months back) and it worked great for me on my iPhone and also for directly connected devices (ethernet into the second router). But the second router wifi will work initially for other devices and then stop.

I tried again with the settings in this message thread. It seems to work better - my iPhone and two other iPhones in the house. Again, direct ethernet connected devices are ok. But unfortunately, again some devices which originally connected to the second router wifi stop working after a while and some devices will connect to the wifi, but never get an internet connection at all from the outset.

Second router is connected downstairs via a powerline connection.

Would love to get this working, as it's so much faster than an old  Brightbox router that I tried before (which works fine by the way with all devices, just so much slower).

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 39 of 43

Go to solution

Evening all,

First off, hats off to the jayebmx for even putting this guide together!

I have tried the steps outlined in the guide (old and new) but have no luck at all. My main router is a BT Smart Hub (6) and the proposed slave is BT Home Hub 5.

Connection setup is as follows:

BT SmartHub > Port 2 > Ethernet Cable > Tenda Powerline Adapter

Tenda Powerline Adapter > Port 4 > BT Home Hub 5

The problem I am facing is when I turn everything on, the WiFi on the BT Smart Hub just stops working and I get intermittent flashing and stable yellow & green lights.

On the Hub Manager for the BT Smart Hub, it shows nothing plugged into Port 2 but shows the connection to the BT Home Hub 5 under Port 1.

I’ve tried for hours this evening but no success at all!

Points to note:

The BT Home Hub 5 does have an option to turn off “Authoritative DHCP” and if you turn off “UPNP” you automatically loose the option to for “Extended UPNP Security”

Any suggestions of help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 40 of 43

Go to solution

Very well done for solving this problem - without your final two steps of disabling upnp and the firewall the HH6 sort of works but doesn't forward DHCP requests to the live router.

0 Ratings